configuring hard drive to install linux mint

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mariomucho123

configuring hard drive to install linux mint

Post by mariomucho123 »

Hi, I am trying to figure out how I can install linux mint on my hard drive. There's a few configurations I am considering.

The first config issue is that I have windows and I want to dual-boot. However windows basically takes up three partitions;
windows OS, HP tools, recovery partition... plus MBR. I'm not familiar with all the methods of partitioning. Is there any way to have more than four partitions.. LVM or something without
erasing one of these existing partitions?

Is there a parameter you add anywhere to omitt the installation of GRUB when installing linux mint?

Installing GRUB on CD/DVD... is this possible, if so would it be simple to do?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
thegreatgazoo

Re: configuring hard drive to install linux mint

Post by thegreatgazoo »

Usually when HP or Dell computers have multiple partitions taking up all the space, they make one of them (usually the tools partition) an logical partition inside of an extended partition. In which case you can shrink the windows partition then resize the extended partition and install Linux mint in there with more logical partitions.
Can you post a screenshot of your partition layout from gparted?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
mariomucho123

Post by mariomucho123 »

Here are two screenshots of Gparted layout. As you can see, the prompt in the image states I already have 4 primary partitions and I do not see an extended partition.
usbtux

Post by usbtux »

Do you need the recovery partition - use Macrum free to make an image of your existing windows partition and save it to an external disk.
Delete the tools and recovery partitions.

Then use either of these.

How to dualboot Windows and Linux using a simple install. This is a simple standard install. http://youtu.be/lzXZpEWTApc

How to dualboot Windows and Linux using a manual install This is manual install. http://youtu.be/GlEVQqFtcuM
thegreatgazoo

Post by thegreatgazoo »

There is another option.
1st of all back everything up with something like clonezilla just in case something goes wrong.

I have successfully converted a primary partition to extended. I had a friends laptop with the same layout. I followed this guide
http://www.partitionwizard.com/convertp ... ition.html

Afterwards, I was able to create new partitions and install mint. I also tested out the windows recovery and it still seemed to work. I didn't go through a recovery, but did boot into the recovery program.

Please back up first though. Messing around with partitions can really mess things up (for current partitions that is).
thegreatgazoo

Post by thegreatgazoo »

Oh yeah, almost forgot. The program is not free, but does let you use it free a few times. So I just used the free trial, did my thing, then uninstalled it.

Good luck.

Return to “Installation & Boot”