Multiple Desktop Shells

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
shadowrelic

Multiple Desktop Shells

Post by shadowrelic »

New to linux- is there an easy way to install all the popular desktop shells on my computer? If I did this would it be easy to switch between, without a performance hit? (other than hard disk space that is)

I'm interested in trying out MATE, Cinnamon, Unity, etc. and would prefer not to dual boot :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
w201

Re: Multiple Desktop Shells

Post by w201 »

you can run different distros from a virtual machine like vmware or virtualbox.
passerby

Post by passerby »

You can install the different DE's through synaptic or the terminal.
eg. Open a terminal (accessories > terminal) and type in sudo apt-get install xfce4 ubuntu-desktop* cinnamon mate-desktop*
You'll end up with a bloated installation (ie. more disk space used), but it means you can run them normally without dual-booting.
Just log out, choose a different session and log back in.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Tonight I installed Cinnamon onto Mint 13 MATE and it brought in most of the Gnome family including Classic, Ubuntu, and Shell is listed but it boots into fallback instead. If you don't mind some extras and have plenty of hard drive space Synaptic Package Manager can access all the desktops you can handle :-)
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

The only downside to it, if you even consider it as such, is that some settings remain between desktop environments. Wallpaper and perhaps desktop icons to name a couple.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

tdockery97 wrote:The only downside to it, if you even consider it as such, is that some settings remain between desktop environments. Wallpaper and perhaps desktop icons to name a couple.
Good point, themes are the same also, I believe.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

I suppose a solution for that would be to create a new user for each desktop environment that you install. That way you won't have the crossover problem between environments.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

tdockery97 wrote:I suppose a solution for that would be to create a new user for each desktop environment that you install. That way you won't have the crossover problem between environments.
That's an interesting idea if you could remember which user for which desktop. Maybe name the users for the desktops: Cinna, Uni, Class, etc. :-)

Return to “Beginner Questions”