[Solved]Mint14 hangs on boot when wifi disabled by switch

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tom101

[Solved]Mint14 hangs on boot when wifi disabled by switch

Post by tom101 »

Hi,

I've been trying Mint Linux 14 on a Dell Latitude E6230 using a live USB thumbdrive made using unetbootin. Everything was fine until I tried to use my laptop whilst on a plane the other day. As is a requirement I switched the wireless off using the hardware switch on the side of the case. And then Mint hung during boot. The keyboard was unresponsive and I had to restart using the power switch. The worst part is that afterwards the USB thumbdrive, with all my changes stored in casper-rw, was broken and wouldn't boot with wireless enabled or disabled. I've now confirmed this behaviour several times using two different thumbdrives. The point that the boot hung was 'Stopping Samba Auto-reload Integration'. Any clue about why this might be and how to prevent it? I don't mind that it won't boot so much as the thumbdrive has to be rebuilt afterwards and all changes in casper-rw are lost.

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tom101

Re: Mint 14 hangs on boot when wireless is disabled by switc

Post by tom101 »

This seems to be fixed by changing to the proprietary driver in Software Sources additional drivers tab. Is there any reason why I might not want to use that driver?
baltorouberol

Re: [Solved]Mint14 hangs on boot when wifi disabled by switc

Post by baltorouberol »

Hi,

I'm experiencing the exact same problem on a Dell Latitude E6430, with Linux Mint 14 & gdm installed: the boot phase hanged forever after

Code: Select all

Starting Samba Autoreload Integration: [OK]
Stopping Samba Autoreload Integration: [OK]
I confirm that using the Broadcom 802.11 Linux STA wireless driver (through Software Sources > Additional drivers) does the trick. I'm now able to boot and start a X session with the wireless disabled.
I have no idea why though.

Thanks for reporting this.

Return to “Installation & Boot”