Mint 14 looks good but for the exception . . .

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wwoof

Mint 14 looks good but for the exception . . .

Post by wwoof »

That my Canon MF3010 sits useless on the sidelines. I searched around here and noticed that Canon does not put out any effort to support Linux but they do supply one on their USA website which I did not know how to install.

14 did plug in a Canon driver automatically but it did not work. Should I just start going down the list of supplied drivers? This is a laser/scanner printer so I'm not getting too excited at the prospects of this thing ever working.

Try all the various drivers?

How to install the Canon website driver?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wwoof

Re: Mint 14 looks good but for the exception . . .

Post by wwoof »

Thanks. I saw the drivers are the same one I got last night. The problem is getting the the right one extracted where it can be selected as the driver. The documentation is not helpful in this regard....or at least not to me. I can get the file extracted to the .deb level driver but it fails to configure in printer settings.

What is the file extension supposed to be?

Thanks.
nomko

Post by nomko »

wwoof wrote:What is the file extension supposed to be?
For all Debian-based distro's the file extension should be .deb.

But you can also download a so-called tarball, which has the .tar.gz extension or just .tar. These are zipped files which need to be extracted.

wwoof wrote: I can get the file extracted to the .deb level driver but it fails to configure in printer settings.
Do you get any error messages? Please post them here.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Yep, that's what I used when I had a Canon driver - those canon drivers romko links to from that obscure Australian support site. At least it was available somewhere...
nomko

Post by nomko »

bimsebasse wrote:romko
romko :?: :?: :?: who is he??? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I'm not gonna ask where your r and n key's are positioned on you keyboard...
naamloos.JPG
bimsebasse wrote:links to from that obscure Australian support site. At least it was available somewhere...
Canon still has a poor support for Linux although Linux drivers are available. And yes, i agree that finding them can be difficult. Even so, finding the right driver can be a pain in the ass!I really don't know why Canon provides such a poor support knowing that there's a lot of Linux users who owns a Canon device. At least Canon is trying to provide some support by developing Linux drivers... Canon is more focused on the Windows market since this is the biggest market for them. So, Windows support is much better than Linux support.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

sorry nomko :)
nomko

Post by nomko »

bimsebasse wrote:sorry nomko :)
just kidding! you have no clue how many people write my first and last name wrong. I have a very unusual first name and surname for Dutch standards...

Return to “Software & Applications”