PCLinuxOS LXDE 2012 desktop looks like Mint?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Brahim Salem

PCLinuxOS LXDE 2012 desktop looks like Mint?

Post by Brahim Salem »

I have tested the new PCLinuxOS LXDE 2012 desktop and at first glance it looks like a Linux Mint to me with MDM and mate feel and looks :shock: Is Mint becoming a global Linux?
BTW I really recommend it for dual-boot :D :D It's a great os :shock:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: PCLinuxOS LXDE 2012 desktop looks like Mint?

Post by DrHu »

Each distributor can create their own version (pclinux lxde is Debian based), but could, if they wish elect to use Mint's desktop interface styles if they wanted to: such as Cinnamon or mate (think this is their gnome 3x fork..)

Also each distributor can find desktops or styles or applications from others (even windows or Apple OSX ideas..) that they wish to incorporate into their own builds..

As well each person using a distribution could if they took the time to learn the remastering process or distribution build process create a version for themselves; either based on one that already exists (Debian, Ubuntu, Mint) or elsewise using a custom build from scratch.

In terms of whether mint is a global Linux like debian or ubuntu or any other top dog-distribution, who knows: but it is certainly a popular one
--the only point for linux developers or users is that linux may never (although that is a long time..) be able to crack through the OS glass ceiling that holds back Linux as a platform of choice platform being the opertive word for most users: Linux not being a platform (missing the hardware connection partner base))
raymerjacque
Level 4
Level 4

Post by raymerjacque »

DrHu wrote: --the only point for linux developers or users is that linux may never (although that is a long time..) be able to crack through the OS glass ceiling that holds back Linux as a platform of choice platform being the opertive word for most users: Linux not being a platform (missing the hardware connection partner base))
that may change in the next few years, specialy with the direction microsoft is taking. Windows 8 is the most horrible thing ive ever seen, it even beats gnome 3 for the worst piece of crap in existance award, if they continue this path i fear it may be a turning point for them. Specialy now that focus is slowly being shifted on the potential of "games+linux = Awesome FPS". Valve is already onboard, others are sure to follow, i already know of one new MMORPG that is being developed on opengl to support both windows and linux native client. Altho i am not allowed to elaborate on the details yet.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

DrHu wrote:
In terms of whether mint is a global Linux like debian or ubuntu or any other top dog-distribution, who knows: but it is certainly a popular one

--the only point for linux developers or users is that linux may never (although that is a long time..) be able to crack through the OS glass ceiling that holds back Linux as a platform of choice platform being the opertive word for most users: Linux not being a platform (missing the hardware connection partner base))
Yep until that hardwired in hardware link is established with Linux community. All I see is more serious hobbyist and tech types using and doing for friends,family & others.

I left Ubuntu in 2008 due to little in choice and immature apps for video & raw image editing. Couple that with the slew of regular updates breaking my at the time nvidia proprietary drivers. Or just plain out breaking x-server all together. Couple that with spotty wifi and the lousy nm-applet then find it still as bad an issue today. Coming back after a 4 year hiatus from linux have seen a lot of maturing of apps and WM's and Desktop environments.

But still same ole same ole video,sound,wifi issues and other issues that stop non-technical users in there tracks. And many are of the lesser technically inclined not wanting to always have to fix things every time there is an update of what use to be working.

As I see it Linux to Crack into the mainstream failure is one of their own making. Way to many Distro's Way too many DE's & Window managers comes to way too much fragmentation and confusion for the regular person to deal with. Want stability? Then older stable branch with older not up to date apps. Need those extra functions of the newer apps? Then you give up some stability and jump thru some other "foreign to users hoops" adding 3rd party repo and and pasting in more cryptic term commands that you will never remember 10 mins down the road.

Truth be told I don't ever expect Linux to break the barrier. Not that I wouldn't like to see it happen. Just don't think the gaggles and streams will merge close enough to give the masses a coherent whole view they prefer to see. That is why windows is such a De-facto standard in the past. Not that it was better. That it was consistent across devices and had the hardware producers propping it up for the most part.
raymerjacque
Level 4
Level 4

Post by raymerjacque »

interesting and valid points you make, however i think if linux were to hit mainstream computers it would most likely be a certain distro, and not all of them. Example Ubuntu or Mint or who ever the top dog is at the time, that distro will get all the attention, focus and funding and the rest of the distro's will be forced to adapt accordingly to deal with compatibility and so forth.

Gaming is the key, the corner stone to it all. Games require high end visual apps to develop scenes, GFX etc etc ... if gaming had to come to linux on par with windows you will automaticly see the top dogs of such software making native linux versions. It just takes one big stroke of luck to open that door and the world comes flooding in.

The reason i say Gaming is the key is because you get FAR better framerates with OpenGL than you do with DirectX, and this is what gaming geeks are after, its all about FPS for them, make a game that runs 100 FPS more and they will install the required os just to see it run that 100fps faster ... i live with 3 such people that want nothing to do with linux, but i can promise you they would switch to linux in a second if battefield 3 ran 100 FPS faster in linux, they wouldnt even think twice. most home owners purchases their computers with their kids gaming needs in mind. they more than often purchase a few games with the computer, not to mention that linux desktops and laptops would be cheaper due to a free OS, so that would also look attractive to someone purchasing...

it is also not an overnight process, but it has to start somewhere, someone has to shift focus and start laying that foundation, and Valve has taken on that role, other will follow, maybe not at first, but eventualy they will. the moment steam starts look
Last edited by raymerjacque on Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

"Gaming is the key, the corner stone to it all. Games require high end visual apps to develop scenes, GFX etc etc ... if gaming had to come to linux on par with windows you will automaticly see the top dogs of such software making native linux versions. "
True enough I could see how expanding front on Gaming could pull in the hardware vendors giving linux support. But it would also have to deal with other hardware linked to gaming like Wifi issues and need to pull them into line also. And then there is the mess of audio support gstreamer,pulse,alsa fiasco to deal with.

Each a stumble block in it's own right blocking growth and penetration into mainstream society.
raymerjacque
Level 4
Level 4

Post by raymerjacque »

Yip, i know exactly what you mean, linux is great, but still not very automated, it still has issues with even installing things like basic drivers for simple stuff like printers and so forth.

But as i said, its not an overnight proccess, it will be years in the making, remember windows went through pretty much the same thing when people had to switch from dos to windows and toss out their old printers and hardware and stuff. but if we look back many years from now and ask, where did it all start to happen, this moment in time is what will be pointed at. they will point there and say that is it, there where valve started porting games to linux, that is the turning point. Mark my words.

I just hope its not to many years :) in meantime i have no issues dual booting, when i need to work in windows its 30/40 seconds and im in, unless i need to work i am almost always using linux.

And dual booting has its advantages as well. all my personal bookmarks, apps, game profiles and so forth are in linux and safe from pretty much anyone. in windows i have just work stuff that wont interest anyone. so the little security bonus of it all is nice :)
Last edited by raymerjacque on Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

The day of the Linux desktop will come when pc manufacturers believe that they will make more money selling their hardware with Linux installed instead of Windows. The reason Windows users don't have to mess with drivers, etc. is because they buy their pc with all that installed and configured for them. A pc with Linux pre-installed would be no more difficult for a user than Windows.

An individual who buys a pc with no OS installed and goes to Office Depot and buys a copy of Windows will have just as difficult a time with drivers and such as an individual who installs a Linux distro.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
raymerjacque
Level 4
Level 4

Post by raymerjacque »

Even moving from one major build of windows to another people get forced to throw out "aging" printers and scanners and wifi cards and so forth, most windows users skip alot of versions, alot of people skipped vista and went straight from XP to 7 or 8, some even from 98 straight to 7, this is a process annoyance you will find on any platform, And for every step forward linux takes it creates demand on suppliers. the moment games start working in linux kids will be putting pressure on manufacturers for better driver support, on tridef to implement 3D linux support and so forth and so forth, its all part of a proccess, the blocks all get put into perspective as the demand for it be addressed is created, you just cant get from point A to Z without going through the alphabet. But rest assured, it is already busy hapening, the fact that we even having this conversation is proof of that.

Return to “Chat about Linux”