[Gaming] Linux MInt using "Steam."

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
meteorrock

[Gaming] Linux MInt using "Steam."

Post by meteorrock »

Is there anyone in here using the app "steam" to do some online gaming using Linux Mint? I am interested if there are anyone here using steam.

Thanks. :)

Also: A "steam" support thread and ask us anything related to gaming on Steam.

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bimsebasse

Re: [Gaming] Linux MInt using "Steam."

Post by bimsebasse »

Not much of a gamer but played TF2 via steam on Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon just to see if it worked - it did :)

For some reason gaming has never been big in here - not a lot of games threads and no dedicated subforum. Maybe that'll change soon with Steam coming to Linux.
meteorrock

Post by meteorrock »

I noticed ubuntu has a thread a mile long with users using steam over there. :) I just got done with most of my missions on the game "Skyrim" , got most of my shouts and dragonbone armor and weapons.

This game just runs better and faster using linux compared to windows on the same hardware. Less lag and faster frames per second. Others are saying most of the games ported over for linux just run faster and better under linux.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

bimsebasse wrote:played TF2 via steam on Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon just to see if it worked - it did
+1 to that :D I tried it this weekend and it was running smooth on my Intel HD3000 Graphics. I used to enjoy games like that long time back, though I don't now. But it was a good test case and the graphics were impressive!

I'm looking forward to The Cave later this week: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=n ... px=MTI3NTU
meteorrock

Post by meteorrock »

Going to start looking over some of those games for linux from steam, they are just kind of pricey. That "World of goo" looks like a nice puzzle game for older gamers, I heard a lot about that game. Haven't tried it yet though.

More of a chess kid. Using 'playchess' on the windows OS environment, they don't have a linux port. Been looking for a real nice chess game on linux, all of the chess games they got for linux right now were built years ago and the GUI of them shows there age. Raptor chess shows some promise, it doesn't have offline play or chess engines. Trying to find a updated chess client for linux is near impossible, I do not think there is any.

If I had the knowledge, I would go ahead and try to build a chess app that looks as good as the 'playchess' app under the windows OS and have one for linux.

Chess play is taught here in the schools, I like that game. It does not seem popular though with the masses anymore.
AnonKS

Re: Re:

Post by AnonKS »

World of goo is a great game. Bought it from the play store. Best on a tablet so you don't accidentally tap the wrong goo balls.

And so far steam is running solid for me. Still missing my source engine games, but valve says they're porting the source games soon. And the game called "the cave" that's coming out looks amazing.
Yup. Things are truly looking up for us linux users 8-)

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m using Tapatalk 2
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

Have you guys tried Lugaru before?? :D :D It works natively on Linux. You can find it in your software manager if you are running Maya or Nadia :D Give it a shot!! It's the best kung fu game fellas :D
Matti L

Post by Matti L »

xenopeek wrote:
bimsebasse wrote:played TF2 via steam on Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon just to see if it worked - it did
+1 to that :D I tried it this weekend and it was running smooth on my Intel HD3000 Graphics.
I've got HD3000 too and was wondering if anything works well with it but if TF2 runs well then that's a good sign. Wonder if Trine 2 works.
Last edited by Matti L on Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I got Trine through Humble Bundle, and tried it on Linux Mint 13. I couldn't get it to work on my HD3000. Not sure if I was missing some libraries, or if indeed my graphics card was insufficient. Perhaps Trine 2 will work, but I'd look some more into that before spending money on it...

In other news; anybody else saw the news that the Steam website is now showing tux the penguin, inviting you to install Steam on Linux--and if you didn't have Linux yet, basically urges you to install it :)

tsdadam

Post by tsdadam »

My HumbleBundle Trine works fine under HD3000 on Mint 14 Cinnamon. I say fine, it's not the fastest or smoothest I've ever seen it, but it certainly works :) Braid is working well too.

VVVVVV is well worth a play too, it'll be nice if/when Steam finally gets the linux binaries up for a lot of the games on their supported list.
I noticed ubuntu has a thread a mile long with users using steam over there. I just got done with most of my missions on the game "Skyrim" , got most of my shouts and dragonbone armor and weapons.

This game just runs better and faster using linux compared to windows on the same hardware. Less lag and faster frames per second. Others are saying most of the games ported over for linux just run faster and better under linux.
I take it you're talking about running it under Wine? I'll be interested to see how games like this are running with actual linux native support, rather than through Wine.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

tsdadam wrote:My HumbleBundle Trine works fine under HD3000 on Mint 14 Cinnamon.
I'll give it another go :D And VVVVVV was awesome indeed!
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

tsdadam wrote:My HumbleBundle Trine works fine under HD3000 on Mint 14 Cinnamon.
Awesome! It works indeed, even at highest quality settings! I'm having a blast with this game :lol:
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Have installed but haven't purchased anything.
Problem being on very limited income and can't afford to buy something that doesn't play well on my system.

Have a dual core AMD with a Ati 4350 using the default open drivers.
Don't know if I even need the propriety one for my card to run games?

But losing $10-$20 is significant to me and can't afford to justify it.
If there is no guidelines or guarentees that specifically state will run on my setup.
Haven't even checked yet what their policies are on try before you buy or refunds?
veggen

Post by veggen »

Anyone tried running Trine 2: Goblin Menace natively? Or Wine?
I'm really interested in it since Trine 2 provided tons of fun already, but I played it on Win and want to switch if possible.
Geas Lwo

Post by Geas Lwo »

i haven't been able to really game through steam yet due to technical difficulties. It either doesn't want to launch the game that I have installed, or, through wine, won't even connect to my account without crashing. I wouldn't mind just having Killing Floor run on my laptop since it's much better than my POS desktop.
Either way, good to hear that Steam and steam games are compatible with Mint as I love this OS.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Clem just posted an article about Steam on the Linux Mint blog: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2302
hosefflatt

Post by hosefflatt »

I have steam installed on Mint, but I haven't purchased any games. I have mostly been playing Starcraft 2 and Minecraft.

My laptop has AMD Dynamic Switchable Graphics, which basiclly means I get to use the Intel 3000 in Linux. I can't get x to switch over to use the Radeon 6650m. I have found that OpenGL games run better on Linux+Intel 3000 and Direct3D games could go either way(PlayOnLinux+Intel vs native+AMD) usually with only a 5-10% difference. The most drastic difference I found was actually Minecraft, which runs at ~15 FPS with lowest settings on Windows vs ~50 FPS maxed out setting on Linux.

Can't wait for Portal on Linux. :D
teilnehmer

AW: [Gaming] Linux MInt using "Steam."

Post by teilnehmer »

Orbmiser, I don't use Steam myself (I'm a consolero, I just prefer a couch and a controller to a desk, a mouse and a keyboard when it comes to games), but I'm sure most games have demos you can download. If these work, the full game will, too.
veggen

Post by veggen »

Soooo... lolcats have what to do with this topic? You're spamming your own thread? Way to go.
meteorrock

Post by meteorrock »

veggen wrote:Soooo... lolcats have what to do with this topic? You're spamming your own thread? Way to go.
I am kool like that huh? lol. Actually that phrase was spoken in a game the older users know about. Legend of Zelda. One of the first games that came out for that series. Also it has a deeper meaning for those in the know, for those that develop. Look up "dangerous kitten." A picture that had some meaning in it :wink: Of course I would not do that here, I am a good kid.

Anyway, lets get back on topic. Looking over some chessware for linux, most are old or just in development right now. ChessX shows some promise, its not ready for offline play with engines, the GUI looks good on it. I posted a how to install for that app, it only has online and database functions at the moment.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Who here has looked over hello kitty seasons for linux? That is a cute game :)
Last edited by meteorrock on Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Gaming”