Upgrade Mint 13 to 14 did not go well

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
killaed

Upgrade Mint 13 to 14 did not go well

Post by killaed »

Hello everyone.
I had mint 13 Mate edition on my laptop with dual boot win Vista (HP-Compaq - 6820s // 2x Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7250 @ 2.00GHz // 2GB RAM). Then I made an upgrade to Cinnamon with work flawlessly. But 2 weeks ago after I ordered Mint 14 Nadia I couldn't install the live CD, so I decided to upgrade using Terminal after reading several links on upgrading the distro that way.
Afterward I could not open MInt normally it showed me this message :
"[ 31.363521] kvm: disabled by bios"
I tried different options to force it work. The only way I can have it work is to go to the recovery.
What can I fix it?
Do I need the downgrade? How can I do that?
How can I install it with the live CD?
Please Help!!!

Here are the step to the dist-upgrade (as far I remembered)
# sudo -i su
# /etc/apt/sources.list
# apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade
# apt-get upgrade
# reboot
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Upgrade Mint 13 to 14 did not go well

Post by xenopeek »

That message is detailed here: http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/FAQ#.22KV ... S.22_error. I'm not sure it is the cause of your problems, but you may try the advice there.

You may try in the GRUB menu pressing 'e' to edit the boot parameters, and on the line that starts with "linux" adding: nomodeset xforcevesa acpi=off noapic nolapic

Perhaps that will let you boot successfully to the desktop.
bb333

Post by bb333 »

KVM message is meaningless to you. KVM = virtual machines

"Mint 14 Nadia I couldn't install the live CD"
It failed during install? Wouldn't boot the livecd? Either one should have been warning signs.

Ubuntu 12.10 kernel looks to not work = mint 14 will not work. Select old kernel in grub:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2077080

http://askubuntu.com/questions/207303/u ... 0s-anymore
ccline19

Post by ccline19 »

In all my 25 years of being in the IT world I have rarely seen an "upgrade" that is 100% flawless. There are just too many moving parts for the developers to consider when trying to deploy an upgrade. I always find it best to backup your docs, etc. and perform a fresh install.
killaed

Post by killaed »

If I want to make a fresh install after backing up my files (which is my preference) How can I make the live CD work? whenever I insert the Mint 14 CD, I have a white-gray-minty screen. . When I inserted it to another computer I can try it with no problem.
ccline19

Post by ccline19 »

killaed wrote:If I want to make a fresh install after backing up my files (which is my preference) How can I make the live CD work? whenever I insert the Mint 14 CD, I have a white-gray-minty screen. . When I inserted it to another computer I can try it with no problem.
Halt the boot up process at the main screen and adjust your start up resolution to 800x600 and see if that helps. The install will try to use the max resolution during the install and sometimes it doesn't work. If that doesn't help then change the boot loader to use the mesa (safe) video driver.
daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Post by daveinuk »

When I inserted it to another computer I can try it with no problem.
Sure the problem doesn't lie with the CD drive? Maybe try USB disck creator or unetbootin to make a bootable USB drive........
bb333

Post by bb333 »

killaed wrote:If I want to make a fresh install after backing up my files (which is my preference) How can I make the live CD work? whenever I insert the Mint 14 CD, I have a white-gray-minty screen. . When I inserted it to another computer I can try it with no problem.
Read the links I posted and do what it says. There is a problem with your graphics card (radeon).

You may not even have to reinstall.

Return to “Beginner Questions”