LiveCD persistence space disappearing to invisible files?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tqw1315

LiveCD persistence space disappearing to invisible files?

Post by tqw1315 »

I'm running Linux Mint off of a livecd with persistence space. It worked fine for awhile, but now I have files saved to my home folder that I'm unable to access or even see via the window explorer and which have used up all of my free space, to the point where my install doesn't work correctly anymore. I'd like to access these files, does anyone know of a way I can?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
usbtux

Re: LiveCD persistence space disappearing to invisible files

Post by usbtux »

Presumably you have persistence file of over 1G any thing less fills up as the complete home directory that is made in the file. Any updates you've done will take up lots of room in the file; any progs you've installed also take up valuable room.

As distros become bigger so will the amount of room it requires to just make up the files required to be in the persistence file. The best way to use persistence is alongside a remastered iso with all the required programmes and all updates included in the iso. ( although this is generally beyond the new user most lightly to use a liveusb.)

You can mount the persistence file on an a live cd to retrieve the files (or an installed mint)

To Mount:
Open a terminal in your home folder then type
mkdir ~/caspermnt
You'll only need to do this once as you’ve just made a folder (mkdir = make directory) called caspermnt in your home folder.
Next type
sudo mount -o loop casper-rw /home/XXXXX/caspermnt/
Your mounted casper-rw file will then appear as a drive icon on your desktop and a folder in home.

To Unmount:
sudo umount ~/caspermnt/
tqw1315

Post by tqw1315 »

Thanks for the response. However, I'm unable to follow your advice as I have 0 bytes free space left on my livecd/persistence usb due to the ghost files and am unable to find anything to delete to clear up space. What now?
usbtux

Post by usbtux »

You can mount the persistence file on an a live cd to retrieve the files (or an installed mint) not your usb

To Mount:
Open a terminal in your home folder then type
mkdir ~/caspermnt
You'll only need to do this once as you’ve just made a folder (mkdir = make directory) called caspermnt in your home folder.
Next type
sudo mount -o loop casper-rw /home/XXXXX/caspermnt/
Your mounted casper-rw file will then appear as a drive icon on your desktop and a folder in home.

To Unmount:
sudo umount ~/caspermnt/
tqw1315

Post by tqw1315 »

Im not sure I totally understand your reply. I connected the usb drive to a system running an installed version of mint and did as you said, but terminal said no such file/directory. am I correctly directing it to the persistence on my usb by following your advice exactly?
tqw1315

Post by tqw1315 »

Nevermind, got it mounted. However, the invisible files are still not viewable...

Return to “Installation & Boot”