Oli

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jimisbell
Level 3
Level 3

Oli

Post by jimisbell »

I have no idea what "Oli" is. It is a folder that has intercepted all my personal folders and wont let go. My home folder is "Jim" then under that folder there should be folders called "pictures", "videos", "tools" etc etc BUT some how a folder with the name "Oli" has gotten between them so the tree is Jim-Oli-Pictures. Many years ago with DOS I could have fixed this, but with Linux, it doesnt seem fixable. I have tried just dragging and dropping the folders from "Oli" to "Jim" but it doesnt work. In fact I cannot drag and drop ANYTHING into the folder "Jim"!!!

It is infuriating because trying to find a file I know is in a folder called "pictures" and there are several folders called "pictures" that I cannot consolidate, is driving me to drink.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep discussing what's for dinner. Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the decision.
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Oli

Post by grimdestripador »

First step is to save you files by backing them up. Somewhere not on your computer or main hard disk.

Second step is to use your dos skills

Take ownership of your home folder (optional)

Code: Select all

sudo chown -Rv `whoami`:`whoami` ~/*
Move those pictures

Code: Select all

sudo mv -Rv ~/oli/Pictures ~/Pictures

Return to “Beginner Questions”