How to install wine through .tar.bz2 file?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ANiK3T

How to install wine through .tar.bz2 file?

Post by ANiK3T »

Hi all
im new 2 linuc
i downloaded wine 4m softpedia which is in .tar.bz2 format
how can i install it cause i dont have a permanent internet connection
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Re: How to install wine through .tar.bz2 file?

Post by grimdestripador »

I haven't trusted softpedia yet. Do you? Do you need to install wine this way for a reason?

Does the linux mint comptuer have internnet access at all?
ANiK3T

Post by ANiK3T »

grimdestripador wrote:I haven't trusted softpedia yet. Do you? Do you need to install wine this way for a reason?

Buddy why dont you just tell me how to install that tar.bz2 file please?
nomko

Post by nomko »

ANiK3T wrote:
grimdestripador wrote:I haven't trusted softpedia yet. Do you? Do you need to install wine this way for a reason?

First, WINE is available in the standard repo's. Secondly, with an attitude like this, you will never get helped. Nobody here is your buddy and help isn't something you can force from people.

Unzip the tarball and read the README file.
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

[Double Post]
Last edited by grimdestripador on Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

ANiK3T wrote:
Because, Ethically, I don't want to give out instructions which may be harmfull to you, or others who read this posting. Because you didn't ask how to install wine through the repositories, I must ask why the repositories are to be avoided. Downloading software from websites that have addvertisments mascuraded as download buttons isn't a smart choice. Your post would have been better received if 1) Ask how to install wine for specific application you have to use. 2) You need help compiling from source.
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by jungle_boy »

My God...
Samsung Odyssey, Octa-core, i5 9300H, Geforce GTX 1650, 16GB RAM, SSD SAMSUNG NVMe 500GB
LM 21 Cinnamon
ANiK3T

Post by ANiK3T »

grimdestripador wrote:
ANiK3T wrote:
Because, Ethically, I don't want to give out instructions which may be harmfull to you, or others who read this posting. Because you didn't ask how to install wine through the repositories, I must ask why the repositories are to be avoided. Downloading software from websites that have addvertisments mascuraded as download buttons isn't a smart choice. Your post would have been better received if 1) Ask how to install wine for specific application you have to use. 2) You need help compiling from source.
then pls tell me how can i install it because i dont have an INTERNET connection
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

a tar.bz2 file is simply an archive.

extract it ( right click & extract) to somewhere other than your desktop, - say your /home directory
then look for any documentation, that came with it.

anyway - how did you get that file, if you have no Internet with this PC?.
- if you can get a temporary Internet access,- then get it directly from the repository via Synaptic.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
nomko

Post by nomko »

ANiK3T wrote:then pls tell me how can i install it because i dont have an INTERNET connection
I've told you in the first post:

UNZIP THE FILE AND LOOK FOR A FILE CALLED README

How difficult can this be???

To everybody else, do not respond on this thread any longer. This person looks more like a troll.
ANiK3T

Post by ANiK3T »

Pierre wrote:a tar.bz2 file is simply an archive.

extract it ( right click & extract) to somewhere other than your desktop, - say your /home directory
then look for any documentation, that came with it.

anyway - how did you get that file, if you have no Internet with this PC?.
- if you can get a temporary Internet access,- then get it directly from the repository via Synaptic.

how do i use synaptic?
I go through Cyber Cafes and downloaded this stuff.. Sorry for my behaviour cause my english is a bit bad Sorry Extrmely for it!
Buddy pls give me step by step procedure to isntall it through synaptic pls
ANiK3T

Post by ANiK3T »

nomko wrote:
ANiK3T wrote:then pls tell me how can i install it because i dont have an INTERNET connection
I've told you in the first post:

UNZIP THE FILE AND LOOK FOR A FILE CALLED README

How difficult can this be???

To everybody else, do not respond on this thread any longer. This person looks more like a troll.

buddy i read the readme file but i didnt got anything useful
just some commands and strings

sorry man for my behaviour caus my english is a bit bad
nomko

Post by nomko »

ANiK3T wrote: buddy i read the readme file but i didnt got anything useful
Even when your English is bad, there's no reason to call everybody buddy and make your sentence look like your having an angry mood. Pay attention to your attitude and language, your attitude and language was/is the only reason why i called you a troll!

As i said before, if you're trying to install WINE, you basically don't need any file to download. It is in the standard repository. Just open the Software Centre and search for WINE.

Then, why downloading from softpedia? That site is not really a site to be trusted. And more important, for Linux it is not a trusted or secure download site. WINE can be downloaded from here: http://www.winehq.org/. This is the homepage of WINE and it's a trusted site! Download page: http://www.winehq.org/download/

Why making it difficult for yourself with a tarball? There's also no need to download a tarball when you SHOULD download the .deb package! Linux Mint uses the .deb extension for software/application packages. Only a .deb file can be installed under Linux Mint.
ANiK3T

Post by ANiK3T »

nomko wrote:
Even when your English is bad, there's no reason to call everybody buddy and make your sentence look like your having an angry mood. Pay attention to your attitude and language, your attitude and language was/is the only reason why i called you a troll!

As i said before, if you're trying to install WINE, you basically don't need any file to download. It is in the standard repository. Just open the Software Centre and search for WINE.

Then, why downloading from softpedia? That site is not really a site to be trusted. And more important, for Linux it is not a trusted or secure download site. WINE can be downloaded from here: http://www.winehq.org/. This is the homepage of WINE and it's a trusted site! Download page: http://www.winehq.org/download/

Why making it difficult for yourself with a tarball? There's also no need to download a tarball when you SHOULD download the .deb package! Linux Mint uses the .deb extension for software/application packages. Only a .deb file can be installed under Linux Mint.

i cant find .deb file link.
It is somelike apt://wine
pls give me directs .deb file link which i can download from here in cafe and transfr and install it to my OFFLiNE linux mint 14 @ home
ANiK3T

Post by ANiK3T »

nomko wrote:

i cant find .deb file link.
It is somelike apt://wine
pls give me directs .deb file link which i can download from here in cafe and transfr and install it to my OFFLiNE linux mint 14 @ home
ANiK3T

Post by ANiK3T »

pls give me direct file link
i go to cyber cafe i dont have internet connection how do i download through apt://wine this command
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

paste this in a terminal

Code: Select all

apt install wine
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by jungle_boy »

ANIK3T said that he/she don't have internet connection at home...
Samsung Odyssey, Octa-core, i5 9300H, Geforce GTX 1650, 16GB RAM, SSD SAMSUNG NVMe 500GB
LM 21 Cinnamon
nomko

Post by nomko »

jungle_boy wrote:ANIK3T said that he/she don't have internet connection at home...
Well.....why don't YOU provide him with a good answer???

Return to “Software & Applications”