A Plee For Help! Mint 14 Mate Grinds To A Halt

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
setanta

A Plee For Help! Mint 14 Mate Grinds To A Halt

Post by setanta »

Hi All

I am back to Mint 14 Mate after a time with Sabayon, good system but I can't see to keep away from Mint! I have done all the upadtes etc. However I am getting very high cpu usage that grinds the system to a halt. I think it's got to do with Nvidia drivers, the machine is dual boot and Win 7 is smooth and stable but I much prefer Linux.

Hopefully this info from terminal will help - when I issued 'top' command in terminal xorg was running at 74.2% cpu the rest of the processes were as should be.

I would greatly appreciate any help with this, the only solution I have is to log out then back in which corrects the problem but is a pain when working as I use the system for my business.

Machine Specs
4 intel processors i5-2500 cpu @3.30Ghz
8GB Ram
Graphics Card NVIDIA Corporation GF108 [GeForce GT 430]
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Orbmiser

Re: A Plee For Help! Mint 14 Mate Grinds To A Halt

Post by Orbmiser »

In a terminal

Code: Select all

inxi -Gx
Post results and doing a general google search on "linux GeForce GT 430"
https://www.google.com/search?q=linux+G ... qdr:y&aq=t
Can only help in a much faster way.

As would guess it's a video driver issue.
setanta

Re: A Plee For Help! Mint 14 Mate Grinds To A Halt

Post by setanta »

Hi, first of all thanks for the reply. I ran the terminal command and here is the result.

Graphics: Card: NVIDIA GF108 [GeForce GT 430] bus-ID: 01:00.0
X.Org: 1.13.0 drivers: (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,nouveau) FAILED: nvidia Resolution: 1920x1080@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: GeForce GT 430/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version: 4.2.0 NVIDIA 304.43 Direct Rendering: Yes

I did look at google but I am not at all knowledgeable regarding tecky aspects of computing and as I wasunable to deciher anything I seemed at the mercy of kind folk offering advice on here!

Any suggestions most welcomed...at the moment Mint is fine but it seems to grind to a halt at some point during a session.
setanta

SOLVED Re: A Plee For Help! Mint 14 Mate Grinds To A Halt

Post by setanta »

Hi all

This may be of help for some others who have had similar problems.

I managed to figure it out myself in the end. Docky seemed to be the problem, as the system slowed I checked in system monitor and it was running at very high cpu rates 100%
Aparently it is not uncommon for Docky to run so high http://wiki.go-docky.com/index.php?title=Debug
Anyway I uninstalled Docky and purged it's dependencies in terminal - sudo apt-get purge remove docky

Since then CPU usage has gone down considerably and the system is idling at around 470 mib of ram.

Setanta

Return to “Beginner Questions”