software installation

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rmbox

software installation

Post by rmbox »

Hi,

I've just installed Mint 10 on a friends laptop and have been tying to install needed drivers and software, but haven't been able to.

I was getting lots of "failed to fetch messages" until I stepped into the deep end of the pool and tried to update the repositories.
Now I'm seeing a lot of "Error: Dependency is not satisfiable" as well on downloaded deb packages as well.
I opened Software-Sources and switched to using the mint-server ... but ... still no luck.
I'm pretty worn out.

Is there something I'm doing wrong, or need to know ?

r.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hawkeye_52

Re: software installation

Post by Hawkeye_52 »

I believe it is the version you are using. Linux Mint 10 is obsolete:

http://www.linuxmint.com/oldreleases.php

Try downloading a current version and start again. I think everything will work out from there.

Good luck,
Hawkeye_52
rmbox

Post by rmbox »

Man ... I hope that's not the last word on this.
I have only been using LM-10 for a little over a year and a half during which time I've made "many" cool customizations that won't work on other versions.
I never read about this in the fine print when I originally installed Mint.

Groan, thank you for your prompt reply.
passerby

Post by passerby »

Sorry, but that's basically it. You can point your repos to newer releases or manually install packages, but ultimately an upgrade is in order.
What kinds of customizations are we talking about?
rmbox

Post by rmbox »

Hundreds... that (most likely) won't work on other versions.
Home-made themes and tweaks that utilize compiz 0.8.6, gtk-2.0, emerald, yad and the list goes on.
A 3d capable nvida driver for the laptop I'm working on, is the thing I need the most right now.

Thx
homerscousin

Post by homerscousin »

Not an expert here, but I thought Nvidia's website had some fairly old drivers still listed for download, probably around the time Mint 10 was released. Download from there and install yourself?
rmbox

Post by rmbox »

Whoa ... download and manually install the nvidia driver myself ?
There's a pretty steep learning curve and fairly high risk in doing that.
I'll check it out though.
Thanks.
DataMan

Post by DataMan »

You may want to use the following link as a point of reference in the future (avoid missing the end of support dates):

http://www.linuxmint.com/oldreleases.php

-DataMan
rmbox

Post by rmbox »

Looks like a good page to reference, now that I know what "obsolete" really means.
I've bookmarked the page.
Thanks.
raymerjacque
Level 4
Level 4

Post by raymerjacque »

Mint 13 is supported till 2017 ( long term release ) .... You may wanna install that instead of mint 14, else you will sit with the same problem again.

Return to “Beginner Questions”