ERROR shared object; recompile with -fPIC ??

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Joshua-Brown

ERROR shared object; recompile with -fPIC ??

Post by Joshua-Brown »

This is the error I got when I tried to 'make' wxsvg-1.1.6
How do I fix this? Any thoughts?

/usr/bin/ld: /usr/local/lib/libavformat.a(allformats.o): relocation R_X86_64_32 against `ff_a64_muxer' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
/usr/local/lib/libavformat.a: could not read symbols: Bad value
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [libwxsvg.la] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/brown/Downloads/wxsvg-1.1.6/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/brown/Downloads/wxsvg-1.1.6/src'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mcurran

Re: ERROR shared object; recompile with -fPIC ??

Post by mcurran »

bump. Trying to build vlc:

/usr/bin/ld: /usr/local/lib/libavformat.a(allformats.o): relocation R_X86_64_32 against `ff_a64_muxer' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
/usr/local/lib/libavformat.a: could not read symbols: Bad value
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make[5]: *** [libaccess_avio_plugin.la] Error 1
make[5]: Leaving directory `/opt/vlc/modules/access'
make[4]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory `/opt/vlc/modules/access'
make[3]: *** [all] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory `/opt/vlc/modules/access'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/opt/vlc/modules'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/opt/vlc'
make: *** [all] Error 2
mcurran

Post by mcurran »

NICE SUPPORT HERE, ALL THE TIME! rainbows' NONE WHATSOEVER. YOU'RE ALL A BUNCH OF rainbows' MUTES!

If anyone, anyone can tell me the package that handles the stupid little gui login screen in mint, then please let me know. I'm running LMDE and I wan to be able to run as root, easily, and be able to choose my window manager at the same time. This distro should revert from the norm, and keep apps that force non-root use out of the distro. all-together. I know someone out there can help. Just name it, one package, what is it??????
mockturtl

Post by mockturtl »

If anyone, anyone can tell me the package that handles the stupid little gui login screen in mint
The GUI login is a "display manager." It's probably mdm (Mint), but could be gdm3 (GNOME), kdm (KDE), xdm, lightdm, ... more info.

Configuration can be more or less exposed through themes (e.g., mdmsetup).

Code: Select all

I'm running LMDE and I wan to be able to run as root, easily, and be able to choose my window manager at the same time. This distro should revert from the norm, and keep apps that force non-root use out of the distro.
GUI programs shouldn't run as root; use gksu, gksudo (or kdesu, kdesudo) instead of su, sudo. That's "the norm" because it's impossible to secure (but it isn't "forced").
Trying to build vlc

Code: Select all

apt build-dep vlc  # install prerequisites
apt source vlc     # download the source
cd vlc-x.y.z
apt build -b       # compile .deb files to parent directory
mcurran

Post by mcurran »

yeah, it complains about -fPIC and muxer or whatever. I'm trying to build it now and have been for hours. I even tried linking luac to a previous version, because I heard there were problems compiling with 5.2 and fPIC, but, nothing working yet. THanks for the help though.
mcurran

Post by mcurran »

Also, building the source from aptitude does the same thing. relocation R_X86_64_32 against `ff_a64_muxer' can not be used when making a shared object
mockturtl

Post by mockturtl »

mcurran wrote:Also, building the source from aptitude does the same thing. relocation R_X86_64_32 against `ff_a64_muxer' can not be used when making a shared object
Googling the error indicates it's been a problem in Arch and Maverick / Julia.
http://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/6729
As the text says, you need to recompile your FFmpeg/libavcodec/libavformat with pic enabled.
I can confirm my steps above work in Debian testing, with no extra gymnastics.
mcurran

Post by mcurran »

Yeah, sorry, I forgot to post my fix.

I just downloaded the source for libav and compiled it with --enable-pic, installed it, then I compiled and installed vlc with --enable-run-as-root, which was my objective.

As for the GUI not allowing me to login as root, I just removed mdm, which didn't effect my window manager setup at all, as far as I know. Just removed what was previously a little GUI for the startx command "gdm", now "mdm".

Would be cool to test out gnome3 on LMDE. I'm debating on trying to install it now. I'm not sure if it will break my mate setup though, or leave it alone. Would be cool to have gnome3 as a separate option like cinnamon.
mockturtl

Post by mockturtl »

Glad you got VLC sorted out.
mcurran wrote:As for the GUI not allowing me to login as root, I just removed mdm, which didn't effect my window manager setup at all, as far as I know.
It won't have. The WM (metacity / mutter) is independent of the DM (session launcher).
Would be cool to test out gnome3 on LMDE. I'm debating on trying to install it now. I'm not sure if it will break my mate setup though, or leave it alone. Would be cool to have gnome3 as a separate option like cinnamon.
It won't break your current setup -- the idea of MATE was to avoid conflicts by rebranding everything. If you have cinnamon installed, gnome-shell won't add much.

Return to “Software & Applications”