Steam should be included in the software Manager of Mint 15

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
Brahim Salem

Steam should be included in the software Manager of Mint 15

Post by Brahim Salem »

“Quoting Clem here; “Just as “killer-apps”, games are among the top reasons which prevent people from switching completely to Linux. In 2012, 15 games were scored 90% or higher on Metacritic. None of them were released on Linux...At the end of last year, Valve and Canonical announced they were working together to bring Steam (which is estimated to have a 70% share of the digital distribution market for video games) to Linux...Valve is planning a new gaming console in 2013 based on Linux and the company is currently promoting its Linux client, even to its Windows users. Gaming media, blogs and magazines are covering the news and some of the major studios are considering porting their games to Linux.” unquote.

Source: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2302

With 70% share of the digital distribution market for video games, Steam would be most wanted by new windows converts. In fact, by including Steam, Linux Mint would get financial support from Valve Corporation, the company behind it.
Last edited by Brahim Salem on Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
raymerjacque
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Steam should be installed by default in Linux Mint 15

Post by raymerjacque »

Excellent idea.

However, isnt it better to just write an install script for steam and make a shortcut on desktop to that rather ( or just a shurtcut to the deb installer file) ? since alot of linux users dont game, and those that do can just run shortcut and steam is installed and those that dont can simply delete shortcut ... ( this will save quite some space since steam on its own is well over 100mb big ( the patch i downloaded today on its own was 119mb in size for steam ) and will surely make ISO image bigger ).

But i love the idea of including it :)
dragon-dragon_dragon

Post by dragon-dragon_dragon »

It's not a bad idea, though I'm not sure valve will be that eager to throw money at all the many linux distro teams (would be a great world if they did though).

I think having one of those checkboxes during the installer would be the ideal way to go. You know like, "Encrypt home folder" ppl who are interested in traveling by air click that checkbox, whereas those who aren't interested will likely leave it be unchecked.

Maybe our checkbox would be "install the Steam game distribution network" so people know what they're opting into.

This topic begs the question, what about independent developers? Should we be doing something similar for the humble bundle community?
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

raymerjacque wrote:Excellent idea.

However, isnt it better to just write an install script for steam and make a shortcut on desktop to that rather ( or just a shurtcut to the deb installer file) ? since alot of linux users dont game, and those that do can just run shortcut and steam is installed and those that dont can simply delete shortcut ... ( this will save quite some space since steam on its own is well over 100mb big ( the patch i downloaded today on its own was 119mb in size for steam ) and will surely make ISO image bigger ).

But i love the idea of including it :)
Maybe you are right raymerjacque:D :D :D But what if they just include it in the software manager and give us the choice of whether to install it or not :D :D :D
If you agree please vote at http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/view/3751
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Moved to the suggestions section.
raymerjacque
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Steam should be included in the software Manager of Linu

Post by raymerjacque »

software manager is a must, it should be listed there. However, there is SO many apps there that unless you go looking for something you wont find it. a shortcut on desktop or a tickbox to install it during setup is a far better route. the user will see straight away that gaming is now a viable option in linuxmint. specialy migrated windows users, it will lay their fears to rest before they even ask the question ( can i game in linux ). Mint can even add it to those rolling scrolling windows you see during installation ( you know the info screens ) they can display there that steam is fully supported in mint.

those that dont install it but wish to later can then fetch it from software manager.

I think this is the better route to take, and i hope the devs see this thread, or that the moderators bring it to their attention.

Already 80 games are surpported in linux with an additional 14 titles about to be released and a further 43 titles already been given the green light. so over next few months the game list in steam4linux is gonna get really big really fast.

I saw today in my steam4linux panel it requested that i enter my vote for the next round of games to get green light ( and this is after the ones i mentioned above ). Steam is now picking up speed and linuxmint will be stupid not to take advantage of that.
Brahim Salem

Re: Steam should be included in the software Manager of Mint

Post by Brahim Salem »

Lets enfranchise the community then: Ladies and gentlemen -and all the jazz in between- It's a public duty to vote for and not against this bill at http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/view/3751. We should all rally behind Mint logo in times of distress. We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools" Martin Linux Mint :D :D :D
How is that :lol: :lol: :lol:
raymerjacque
Level 4
Level 4

Post by raymerjacque »

uhm you should include a link to this thread in that poll description :)

and btw, i dont think a poll is even needed, i mean its GAMING ON LINUX .... some guys have been waiting for this for over 20 years, who the hell is gonna vote : no ?
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

raymerjacque wrote:uhm you should include a link to this thread in that poll description :)

and btw, i dont think a poll is even needed, i mean its GAMING ON LINUX .... some guys have been waiting for this for over 20 years, who the hell is gonna vote : no ?
Did you vote raymerjacque? How many times? :D :D Once :shock: :shock: and you call that civil duty man. It's a full scale war against Windows man! Revote just like in Gangs of New york :D :D :D :D
raymerjacque
Level 4
Level 4

Post by raymerjacque »

i registered, still waiting activation then ill vote :D

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”