Workspaces popping up , why?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mikeeve
Level 1
Level 1

Workspaces popping up , why?

Post by mikeeve »

New install of Mint 14, Cinnamon 64-bit in Virtual Box 4.2.6, Windows 7/64 host, 4-core AMD.

When I am at the desktop in the default workspace (1), a window pops up showing 2 windows labeled Workspace 1 and Workspace 2. This happens seemingly at random when I move the mouse around the desktop. Then I click on Workspace 1, but the slightest mouse motions throw me back to (what I think is) the workspace switcher.

Is this normal behaviour? Maybe a setting in Cinnamon needs to be changed (I turned of Workspace OSD in Settings, but doesn't help).

Might be a problem with Virtual Box. BTW, there is noticeable lag when typing this text.

I thought it might be my cordless mouse so switched to a corded mouse. Same problem.

I'll play around more with settings unless someone has a solution.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mikeeve
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Workspaces popping up , why?

Post by mikeeve »

I disabled HotCorner in Settings and looks like that fixed the problem, but I wasn't even coming near the corners when I was having the problem.
passerby

Post by passerby »

Your assumption was correct; it's a virtualbox problem. Cinnamon does that for me in vbox, but it works fine on actual installs.
mikeeve
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mikeeve »

passerby wrote:Your assumption was correct; it's a virtualbox problem. Cinnamon does that for me in vbox, but it works fine on actual installs.
Thanks. Do you know if this is a problem with XFCE or other flavors?
passerby

Post by passerby »

I haven't experienced it with other DEs (apart from gnome shell).
Basically it keeps registering a mouseover event on the top left corner, hence why disabling the hot corner did the trick.
cmate4352

Post by cmate4352 »

mikeeve wrote:New install of Mint 14, Cinnamon 64-bit in Virtual Box 4.2.6, Windows 7/64 host, 4-core AMD.

When I am at the desktop in the default workspace (1), a window pops up showing 2 windows labeled Workspace 1 and Workspace 2. This happens seemingly at random when I move the mouse around the desktop. Then I click on Workspace 1, but the slightest mouse motions throw me back to (what I think is) the workspace switcher.

Is this normal behaviour? Maybe a setting in Cinnamon needs to be changed (I turned of Workspace OSD in Settings, but doesn't help).

Might be a problem with Virtual Box. BTW, there is noticeable lag when typing this text.

I thought it might be my cordless mouse so switched to a corded mouse. Same problem.

I'll play around more with settings unless someone has a solution.
I've got the exact same problem running LM 14 64 KDE in VB Totally random.
Please post if you find a solution. I'll do the same
mikeeve
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mikeeve »

cmate4352 wrote: I've got the exact same problem running LM 14 64 KDE in VB Totally random.
Please post if you find a solution. I'll do the same
Disabling HotCorners in Settings (see above) stopped the workspace switcher popping up. In VirtualBox, machine settings, I changed the video memory to max and enabled 3d acceleration. Seems to be running well with no known lag. Quite useable now, so I will continue using 14/Cinnamon in VB. Also, will install some engineering tools (Octave, PyLab) for an online course that starts in a couple of weeks. I also saw something about changing the Linux kernel's clock frequency from 1000Hz to 100Hz for guest machines to reduce load on the host maching, but I don't think I need that yet.

Return to “Beginner Questions”