LM13 What do I do with a tar.bz2 file..

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
PeDr0

LM13 What do I do with a tar.bz2 file..

Post by PeDr0 »

Linux mint 13 question, well actually general Linux question I think:

What do I do with a tar.bz2 program installation file that after I download it.. I know I can either open it with Archive manager or Archive mounter but what do I actually do with the contents of the folder that it produces after I extract it. For example if I download: Firefox firefox-18.0.1.tar.bz2 how do I install it. I am just fed up with having folders on my desktop for example and running the program directly..what is the correct procedure? :?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
PeDr0

Re: LM13 What do I do with a tar.bz2 file..

Post by PeDr0 »

O.K. I think I just answerd my own question:http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=97158

Just put the Program folder in my home folder right.. :)
TheDynamicHamza21
Level 5
Level 5

Re: LM13 What do I do with a tar.bz2 file..

Post by TheDynamicHamza21 »

Is there any particular reason you downloaded the tarball of firefox? Firefox 18 is latest version you easily update to it by visiting the mozilla page.
http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

or use the update manager. The manager should have firefox ready to be installed since the default firefox of mint 13 is ff11.
Linux Registered User: # 573034

Hamza21.com

Return to “Beginner Questions”