Adobe Reader Plugins

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
carlnielsen
Level 1
Level 1

Adobe Reader Plugins

Post by carlnielsen »

Greetings

For my sins, I interact a lot with PDF files generated by the South African Revenue Services. Anyone else who uses these will be able to tell you that even the most static of their documents and forms will not open in any form of pdf reader other than Adobe v 9 + (Please correct me if I am wrong!)

Anyway, so mostly, I am dealing with forms that have to be filled in and then submitted. The submission is only possible if the form is accessed within a browser. Opening it in Adobe Reader itself one is able to fill it in, but the submission process fails. Hence, I *must* be able to open pdf documens directly in my browser.

Which leads to where I am struggling. I have Firefox (17.0), Chromium (22.0.1229.94) and Google Chrome (240.1312.56). installed on my LMDE 64-bit installation. I have acroread (9.5.3-dmo2) installed.

In firefox, under preferences for handling pdf files, the only available options are "Always Ask" or "Use Document Viewer". I have a link to /opt/Adobe/Reader9/Browser/intellinux/nppdf.so in the /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins folder. about:plugins lists all my other plugins that are in that folder, but does not list the Adobe Reader plugin.

I've created a link to that same nppdf.so in /opt/google/chrome/plugins (the same place I made the java plugin link - which does work). chrome:plugins does not list the Adobe Reader plugin and attempting to open a pdf only allows it to open in Adobe Reader outside of Chrome (incidentally, is there a setting in Chrome somewhere to determine whether it should open inside the browser or not)?

I haven't really explored trying to get it to work with chromium.

If anyone can give some guidance I'd be greatly appreciative.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Adobe Reader Plugins

Post by caf4926 »

.pdf open fine in my chrome
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
carlnielsen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by carlnielsen »

@caf4926:

You sure pdf is opening in Acrobat Reader (and not the built-in Chrome PDF Viewer which is based on foxit and therefore no good for my purposes).

If I turn Chrome PDF Viewer plugin on then generally pdf's open fine, but some pdf's (notably those designed and used by our dastardly taxing authorities) aren't compatible and just give a message effectively telling you so. After turning off the Chrome PDF Viewer, any pdf opened in chrome downloads, and can then be opened outside of Chrome, but as mentioned, that is no good to me either.

If you have pdf's opening with the Adobe plugin in Chrome successfully, I'd love to try to figure what your setup has that mine lacks.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

Sorry
My bad. No I don't use Adobe reader it takes over...

I know some people need it for forms etc..

I'm sorry but I'm not prepared to install it just to see
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon

Return to “LMDE Archive”