Linux Mint 13 Mate 64 bit AMD screen tearing

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gattofix

Linux Mint 13 Mate 64 bit AMD screen tearing

Post by gattofix »

I have an older desktop system with an integrated AMD HD 3200 (RS780), 4 GB Ram and AMD X2 3800, HP LCD with 1600 x 1200 resolution.

I reinstalled Linux Mint and actually - finally ! - managed to install the proprietary fglrx ATI driver, if I check it, it is properly installed (fglxinfo), glxgears and the cube animation work fine and fast. So - 3D graphics, which I don't really need on Linux, seems to work. Having said that, what keeps annoying me is the 2D performance. It does not actually feel slow. For example, scrolling up and down on a page like dpreview.com is fine, if not as buttery smooth as on Windows 8 using the same system.

However, if I drag a window (medium size), especially fast, there is incredible tearing! I did enter the Catalyst Control Center via sudo amdcccle and activated the tearfree mode. Yet, it does not change anything.

Do you have any idea what the reason could be and what settings I could change? In CCC there do not seem to be any other relevant options for 2D performance. Everything seems to be OK concerning the settings.

Could this be related to the Xorg.conf? If so, what settings could I try?

I really made up my mind to use Linux Mint and not Windows 8 as my main system (word processing, Internet), but it is kind of frustrating that Windows 8, which has officially much higher hardware requirements, seems to be as fast graphics wise like Windows XP before, whereas I have never been able to match Windows 2D video performance with Linux on that system.

I simply want to have smooth, fluid 2D performance (scrolling in browser, moving windows, etc.).

Thanks in advance for any help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gattofix

Re: Linux Mint 13 Mate 64 bit AMD screen tearing

Post by gattofix »

I forgot, I am using the AMD 13.1 driver, my card was listed as compatible. I installed in manually. No error messages.
gattofix

Linux Mint 13 Mate 64 bit AMD screen tearing [solved]

Post by gattofix »

I have solved the problem by reinstalling Linux Mint and then installing the older AMD 12.6 driver.

When originally picking the right driver, the AMD website indicated the 13.1 version as compatible with my integrated HD 3200 (RS780) graphics.

Apparently, this is not the case, because after installing the older 12.6 driver (legacy), the graphics performance, both 3D and 2D were fine. No tearing anymore, either.

For those who do not know this page - I manually installed the driver following these instructions: http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu ... tion_Guide
Adelante

Re: Linux Mint 13 Mate 64 bit AMD screen tearing

Post by Adelante »

Thank you for sharing your solution.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”