linuxmint has been blocked by security policy.

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Chifte

linuxmint has been blocked by security policy.

Post by Chifte »

Hello all,

I just bought a Lenovo S405 and I am attempting an install via USB Linux Mint 14, I've done these installations before and it's never given me any trouble.

When I install Linux Mint 14, it all goes smoothly until it restarts and gives me the error message
"linuxmint has been blocked by security policy."

Then it goes onto something about "modem :{FAIL}"

then attempts to boot from other media.

3 attempts, formatted USB drive twice, same result.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: linuxmint has been blocked by security policy.

Post by xenopeek »

Sounds like UEFI. Did this laptop come with Windows 8, or is it certified for it? You may try disabling "secure" boot in the UEFI BIOS.

See also this article, which seems to be a red alert to avoid Lenovo: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=n ... px=MTI4OTc
Chifte

Post by Chifte »

xenopeek wrote:Sounds like UEFI. Did this laptop come with Windows 8, or is it certified for it? You may try disabling "secure" boot in the UEFI BIOS.

See also this article, which seems to be a red alert to avoid Lenovo: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=n ... px=MTI4OTc
Yes it came with Windows 8.

Sigh, I've deleted all of my partitions, windows is wiped and the computer doesn't come with a windows 8 key for me to just use that.

I sure hope disabled secureboot helps!:)
Chifte

Post by Chifte »

Disabling secure boot did not work :( oh man I've a brick!
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Nope but you shouldn't have deleted all your partitions.
Your system should have come with restore discs or a hidden restore partition if you didn't nuke that.

Then you should be able to restore back to factory defaults.
So read your docs,manual about restoring unit that came with.
Chifte

Post by Chifte »

Orbmiser wrote:Nope but you shouldn't have deleted all your partitions.
Your system should have come with restore discs or a hidden restore partition if you didn't nuke that.

Then you should be able to restore back to factory defaults.
So read your docs,manual about restoring unit that came with.
Thank you for the suggestion.

I decided to try Ubuntu 12.10 to see if it would make a difference, it has fully installed and works fine.

These companies in cahoots with each other and blocking other OS from being installed on a computer is ludicrous. I don't understand why Ubuntu worked, yet Mint didn't but both are Debian.

With that said and for future reference for Google searchers :), if anyone has a Lenovo S405 Ideapad A6 and is trying to install Linux Mint 14 Cin and is being restricted with the message "linuxmint has been blocked by security policy.", please try the latest Ubuntu. I'm not sure if turning off Secureboot made a difference or not, it did not make a difference after disabling and reinstalling LM14 but it makes sense to disable it.

Return to “Installation & Boot”