Mint 14 occasionally boots to blank screen.

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
amarumayo

Mint 14 occasionally boots to blank screen.

Post by amarumayo »

Hi all,

I am trying to get to the bottom of this. I did a fresh install of Mint 14 on a LenovoG575 with Vision AMD. About half of the time when I boot up, it boots to a blank screen. I can still hear the login sounds and I am able to login with my password however the screen shows nothing. Using Ctrl+Alt+Delete I am able to boot down and try again. Sometimes it just boots fine. Any ideas what might the problem or where to start?

Thanks in advance,
Chris
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JennieLee

Re: Mint 14 occasionally boots to blank screen.

Post by JennieLee »

Hi Chris,

I came to the forum because your post showed up on my Google search. I went to the Installation & Boot forum and saw "Solve boot problems with AMD and NVIDIA graphics cards" pinned at the top, I followed the instructions, and it solved that problem for me. I've booted and I am about to follow the remaining instructions, hopefully they will solve the other issues I'm having now that it has loaded. My actions seems "laggy" and the icons on the right of my toolbar are enlarged.

EDIT: Btw, I am not running the same system but have AMD. I created a post here in the Graphic Card support forum.

Please let me know if you tried this and if it helped.
Jennie
amarumayo

Re: Mint 14 occasionally boots to blank screen.

Post by amarumayo »

Hi Jennie,

Thanks, I did the what the second post on that link that you sent suggested (copied below) and it seems to have fixed the problem:

From: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=122257

Just in case this helps someone from spending the hours I did looking around.. I have the issue where the Mint 14 live CD worked, install went OK but then on booting to HDD there was no grub menu and just a black screen and blinking cursor. Convinced it would be a graphics card thing I played around with editing grub with replacement to "no splash" but no joy.

Then I found an old post about mint 11 (I am trying to install mint 14) and xenopeek suggested boot-repair.

Original Post was
http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=86258

And the solution that worked for me and got me into Mint 14 was to boot to a live CD, the run

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:yannubuntu/boot-repair && sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install -y boot-repair && boot-repair
sudo boot-repair

I just accepted the defaults when running the utility, it seemed to know exactly where my HDD was and fixed the grub on that /dev/sda.

Thanks,
Chris

Return to “Installation & Boot”