Mint4Win questions

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Rabblerouser
Level 1
Level 1

Mint4Win questions

Post by Rabblerouser »

I'll keep this short so as not to waste your time.

I hear this is similar to Wubi, my question is does it behave EXACTLY like Wubi?
When I install Mint (hoping to use Cinnamon or MATE), does it put an entry in my Windows XP Add/Remove Programs to UNinstall it easily? Nevermind the "why would you want to uninstall Mint" questions, the answer should be obvious, especially for a newbie like me.

If it does, what entry does it show up as?

Lastly.. how on earth do you even use Mint4Win? I can't seem to find an exe anywhere.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Mint4Win questions

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Rabblerouser.
I hear this is similar to Wubi, my question is does it behave EXACTLY like Wubi?
No, not 100%.
A Wubi / Mint4win installation is made up of 2 parts:
  1. The first part is started by launching wubi.exe / mint4win.exe as administrator inside Windows. This phase will prepare the real Linux installation in phase 2.
  2. Part 2 or phase 2 is launched when the system is rebooted at the end of part 1.
    A Linux live system will be started.
    Wubi will automatically launch the Linux installer and start performing the Ubuntu installation.
    Mint4win will start the live session. But you must click the icon "Install Linux Mint" on the desktop of your live session yourself in order to perform the real Linux Mint installation.
When I install Mint (hoping to use Cinnamon or MATE), does it put an entry in my Windows XP Add/Remove Programs to UNinstall it easily?
Yes, it does.
If it does, what entry does it show up as?
Linux Mint.
Lastly.. how on earth do you even use Mint4Win? I can't seem to find an exe anywhere.
For all those Linux Mint editions which come with Mint4win.exe, you can extract mint4win.exe from the root folder of the downloaded .ISO image file.
You can use e.g. 7Zip to perform this task.

HTH,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
Rabblerouser
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rabblerouser »

Thanks a ton! I feel a lot safer trying it out now. :)
I'm very new to linux but have started learning my way around the terminal and installing stuff from tarballs in ubuntu.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Rabblerouser.
You're welcome. :)
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline

Return to “Installation & Boot”