new to linux and MINT no wireless connection to airport

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
zen

Post by zen »

rebooted light seems to be back on...hmmm

thanks for everythin at least you got the light on now for the rest..Thanks Hairy Palm

no signal though since I ran the gnome applet...damn
zen

Post by zen »

tried evrything even wireless assistant that never worked before - t says 5 stars for signal but cannot connect...

in network tools there seems to be packet movement? but all settings are zero -

i threw the kitchen sink at this one trying to get it working....hmm
hairy_Palms
Level 4
Level 4

Post by hairy_Palms »

the only thing i can suggest is get rid of passwords from your network, if youve got wep keys then it should be secure anyway.
zen

Post by zen »

this new computer is the only one that has problems and knowing enought o be dangerous I hate to tweak the password stuff and then the others do not work.

Thank you anyway...I have tried everything possible I am still stuck I configured everpossible setting and number and letter and notta.

this is why I hestated for all of these years from approaching linux.

:-)))) thank you again you helped me get signal recongition!!!

norman
zen

Post by zen »

any thoughts about the no sound issue?

thanks
zen

Post by zen »

HAIRY!!!! I tried the wep off and it was even worse notta happend for everything!!!

so back to the 1/2 way point!

matter of fact everything froze up and the icon did not work and the click would not do anything I had to shut down 2x and reboot - just like windows!

this is getting to be a frustrating start into linux
hairy_Palms
Level 4
Level 4

Post by hairy_Palms »

ah well ill have another look later tonight for the wireless thing, , im goin to the gym now

as for the sound, if you run
sudo users-admin
pcik your user and go to the user privilages tab are use audio device selected?

if so try running in a terminal
sudo totem, and open a file to play with totem, if it plays its a permission issue

third, try running
gnome-sound-properties
and test the sound events and music and movies tests to see if any work.

fourth, if you double click on the volume control in the corner, what error messages does it spit out if it does?
zen

Post by zen »

1.al settings ok or I tweaked a bit
2. totem nothing to play the lap[top is 34 days old

received this:zen@zen-linuxlaptop:~$ sudo totem

(totem:9018): libgnomevfs-WARNING **: Failed to open session DBUS connection: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
Volume monitoring will not work.

** (totem:9018): WARNING **: Failed to connect to the session bus: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

3. how and where to test gnome sound properties?

4. never knew you could double click that - I tweake what I said in 1.

thank you.
hairy_Palms
Level 4
Level 4

Post by hairy_Palms »

if you can find a music file, any music file to try playing it with sudo totem, to run gnome-sound-properties, either enter it into a terminal or its under
System->Preferances->Sound

i may not post any more today, im going to bed :)
zen

Post by zen »

OK will do...thank you for all of your helpppp!!!! w eta least have the strong signal going. I had squat before you helped me.

I tried playing the radio in rhythmbox or whatever it is called and notta.

Good night! I have off tomorrow althoug I was supposed to busienss tax stuff all day but if we can get this working I will be here early - 5:30-6:00AM central US

thanks so much my friend!
zen

Post by zen »

i tried a ssmall short wave file I got from the internet intotem and no sound...a problem eh?

Thank you.

I also tried sgnome sosund properties and nothing I forgot that I had tried that yesterday....hmmmm
hairy_Palms
Level 4
Level 4

Post by hairy_Palms »

ok, go to System > Administration > Device Manager and check Sound Controller has it correctly detected your sound card maker?
zen

Post by zen »

how do I know if it has detected it correctly? I am not sure what I am looking for and what I am comparing it to?

thanks! Good Monring....I was told by someone to get a different wifi card...thoughts????

edit - I get this by the way

zen@zen-linuxlaptop:~$ cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [Intel ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
HDA Intel at 0xd0340000 irq 58
zen@zen-linuxlaptop:~$

i did buy another wifi card -

also there is some intel alsa listed n the device manager...now what?

thank you Hairy Palms
hairy_Palms
Level 4
Level 4

Post by hairy_Palms »

that sounds like whats right, did you try runnig totem from a terminal as root, open a terminal from Applications->Accessories->Terminal
then type "sudo totem" with no quotes
and then open the wave file with it and post if it gives any error messages,

youll tell if its there and detected by if the name of your soundcard maker is right, mine is
82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller and it says made by Intel which is right.

then if it is you can try running alsamixer from a terminal and make sure that nothing is muted

if alsamixer says no sound devices found then try running

sudo chmod 666 /dev/dsp from the terminal
zen

Post by zen »

ok I am back got stuck in traffic
zen

Post by zen »

zen@zen-linuxlaptop:~$ sudo totem
Password:

(totem:15116): libgnomevfs-WARNING **: Failed to open session DBUS connection: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
Volume monitoring will not work.

** (totem:15116): WARNING **: Failed to connect to the session bus: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

nothing happens whe I play the short wav file audioally wise - no sound

ok not sure about the rest or how to run it all in terminal...sorry I am really dumb at this and losing patience for this linux experience rather quickly...
hairy_Palms
Level 4
Level 4

Post by hairy_Palms »

to run anything in the terminal just open it from applications->accessories->terminal and and type the command
hairy_Palms
Level 4
Level 4

Post by hairy_Palms »

also you might want to look at
http://linux.iuplog.com/default.asp?item=94639
zen

Post by zen »

Hairy,

I just returned the notebook, I was not happy with the notebook and also this linux thing was a true pain even with your rock steady help! I am looking into a different more compatible model. I also was left hanging when I couldn't get the mintwifi going despite the fact that i did everything clem told me to do to get it working.

Thank you for your patience and your help. Now to find a mint compatible laptop that I can afford.

peace to you,

Zen
hairy_Palms
Level 4
Level 4

Post by hairy_Palms »

hehe no problem :) good luck with your laptop hunt.

Return to “Networking”