Linux Mint and Blue Screen in Windows

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
copperblue

Linux Mint and Blue Screen in Windows

Post by copperblue »

I've been having a computer nightmare the last day or so because while I was really enjoying Linux Mint and will defend it, when I went back into Windows 7, I got the blue screen of death several times. Bad Pool Header was the reason for a number of the BSODs and it mentioned bc19. There could be a number of reasons why this happened:

1. It could be a coincidence and it was an already existing problem.
2. Linux Mint just didn't agree with my existing set up and corrupted it.
3. I downloaded a bad ISO image and that caused the problems.

In the end I had to do a fresh reinstall but even this was problematic as the recovery partition was corrupted and I couldn't update Windows. Eventually I used the image on a backup disk and now my Windows is working again without any blue screen BUT I already miss Mint and I would like to keep on using it but I don't want to have the same problems again. Can anyone advise me on what I should do? I downloaded the image from the Linux Mint website using the download from Kent University in the UK.

I thought it might be useful to mention my specs. I'm using a Dell XPS i-7, 6gb RAM, 1TB hard drive.

I'd very much appreciate your help and I thank you in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
TheDynamicHamza21
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Linux Mint and Blue Screen in Windows

Post by TheDynamicHamza21 »

maybe check the m5d sum of the iso?
Linux Registered User: # 573034

Hamza21.com
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

The md5sum of the Mint DVD does not cause BSOD
If you had a bad md5sum and or bad burn and were still able to install, it would not affect the windows side at all.
Since Mint boots to a live desktop in the first place, it pretty much requires the burn be good to get there in the first place.

Unless you were shrinking windows during the Mint install? This can certainly cause problems.
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by jungle_boy »

copperblue wrote:I've been having a computer nightmare the last day or so because while I was really enjoying Linux Mint and will defend it, when I went back into Windows 7, I got the blue screen of death several times. Bad Pool Header was the reason for a number of the BSODs and it mentioned bc19. There could be a number of reasons why this happened:

1. It could be a coincidence and it was an already existing problem.
2. Linux Mint just didn't agree with my existing set up and corrupted it.
3. I downloaded a bad ISO image and that caused the problems.

In the end I had to do a fresh reinstall but even this was problematic as the recovery partition was corrupted and I couldn't update Windows. Eventually I used the image on a backup disk and now my Windows is working again without any blue screen BUT I already miss Mint and I would like to keep on using it but I don't want to have the same problems again. Can anyone advise me on what I should do? I downloaded the image from the Linux Mint website using the download from Kent University in the UK.

I thought it might be useful to mention my specs. I'm using a Dell XPS i-7, 6gb RAM, 1TB hard drive.

I'd very much appreciate your help and I thank you in advance.
You recovery the W7 MBR, that is OK, and now you need recovery Linux Mint Grub;

Look a tip:

http://ubuntuguide.net/how-to-restore-g ... pvistawin7
Samsung Odyssey, Octa-core, i5 9300H, Geforce GTX 1650, 16GB RAM, SSD SAMSUNG NVMe 500GB
LM 21 Cinnamon
copperblue

Post by copperblue »

So from what I can establish, it looks as if my ISO image was ok as I was able to get Mint working.

JungleBoy, I'm not looking to dual boot until I can work out what went wrong the first time. caf4926, I did shrink Windows but I used the Mint installer. I did use the Ubuntu installer about a year ago and didn't have this problem so I don't think it was that. I only shrank my 1TB hard drive by 70gb.

I've been reading around and I think I may have had a problem with my graphics card which is a NVIDIA GTX 260. Still this all remains a guess for the time being.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

Shrinking windows is fine
But only if you defraged it first
And then no more than half of the free space
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

caf4926 wrote:Shrinking windows is fine
Many people suggest that shrinking be done in windows. I understand the reason for that. But I never had it go wrong once yet using Parted Magic (gparted) live cd, many, many times......
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
copperblue

Post by copperblue »

caf4926 wrote:Shrinking windows is fine
I really don't think that this was the problem as I'd defragged my drives fully only a couple of days earlier and I allocated only a fraction of my hard drive. It really did make a mess of Windows making it crash after every half an hour.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

So are you just running windows now?

Are you wanting to try again?

If so, I would use windows to shrink off some free space and leave it unallocated.
Make sure windows is running fine and can reboot etc.. without issue.
Now use Parted Magic CD to create an extended partition with the Linux logicals that you need (if you don't understand this...ask)
Once done boot Mint DVD and install, following the principles here
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/10573557/Mint_ ... deshow.mkv
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
copperblue

Post by copperblue »

I just wanted it to be known that I've had the blue screen again in Windows 7 and this was after doing a a fresh reinstall so evidently Linux Mint was not to blame and it's likely that I have some type of hardware problem. In many ways I'm very relieved as this means that once I've fixed this issue, I can install Mint again :D

Return to “Beginner Questions”