Support for Acer Aspire One?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MarkLaw19

Support for Acer Aspire One?

Post by MarkLaw19 »

Hello to all,

Last week i bought a new laptop Acer Aspire One D270 with Intel Atom N2800 which by the way wasn't my own type of laptop since i like things to go fast, its a gift from my dad actually. Anyway, here comes the problem and i think some of you know what the problem is by now, I tried to run Linux Mint 14 Nadia MATE here but the thing is its stuck at booting. I cannot reach till the Display Manager. I heard also that Intel discourages linux users to approach Atom processors as they don't release the open source driver for it, i think. So what should i do? This netbook is preinstalled with Windows 7 Starter but it kinda slow here, and i need to get LM working here as i need it for my C Programming Studies here. Any advice would be appreciated. :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Support for Acer Aspire One?

Post by AlbertP »

You can install Mint 13 Mate, and then install cedarview-graphics-drivers from the repository. That driver is not available for Mint 14, and it's not clear to me whether there will ever be a new version of it.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
MarkLaw19

Post by MarkLaw19 »

Hi AlbertP, thanks for the reply and your help.

I've installed LM 13 MATE inside my pendrive just to be in the safe side. I've installed both Broadcom STA driver and the Cedar Trail drm as suggested by the Additional Driver program. The graphics did improve and the wireless light indicator on my netbook is working well. But when i tried to play my videos, with resolution 1280x800 with VLC, it was slow like 1 frame per second! Even in windows, i need to use Windows Media Player and not some other players like VLC or MPC, otherwise the playback will be laggy. I guess its the netbook being so small that it wasn't strong enough to play such HD videos. It has no problems with the video of size 640x480 resolution though.

The other thing is that there is no 3D acceleration in the Cedar driver. I hope that the developer will provide those drivers so that i can fully migrate to linux without looking back.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Ok, these Intel Atom CPUs contain a graphics core not developed by Intel themselves, so that means it doesn't get as much support from Intel as other GPUs. The cedarview driver that you're currently using is no longer available for download on Intel's website, so I don't expect any future versions of it.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
RTPDr

Post by RTPDr »

very happy with LM13 xcfe. Try it. Plays HD movies well...:)

Return to “Hardware Support”