system crashing - logs?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
karl
Level 1
Level 1

system crashing - logs?

Post by karl »

Hello all

My PC keeps crashing, I have absolutely no idea why. It is seemingly at random but, possibly, with increasing frequency. The symptoms are that I cannot change tabs in Firefox or switch applications (either by the taskbar or alt-tab), the pointer moves if I move the mouse but there is no response to clicks. All I can do is power off the machine.

I'm not a power user and generally the only application I have had open when the crash occurs is firefox. I am aware there have been some memory leakage issues with FF on windows, does this also exist in Linux?

To be honest, I don;t know where to start here. Are there likely to be any logs that will help diagnose the problem?

Thanks

Karl
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
McLovin

Re: system crashing - logs?

Post by McLovin »

The memory leaks in FF are universal, they exist on all platforms. Do you have alot of tabs open when the crash happens?
karl
Level 1
Level 1

Post by karl »

Normally 4-6 tabs, do you think this is the likely culprit?
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

I don't think Firefox causes a full system lock, but you can take a look at /var/log/messages to see what that say. I usually just track down what messages it shows when it boots, then look for the last boot after a crash. Alternately you can look at kern.log as well, or try to use Epiphany instead of Firefox to see if that helps with the lock ups.
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

what are your system specs? (ram, processor, etc.) and are you running b[]anything[/b] else in the background? also, are you on dial-up, or dsl, or cable?
karl
Level 1
Level 1

Post by karl »

MagnusB - Thankyou, I;ll take a look at those logs and see if they tell me anything.

McLovin - I have and AMD64 3200+ and 1gb RAM. ADSL connecting via homeplug to a router

I didn't think I had much running in the background, but just did a 'ps -ax' (I think that's the right command, it's what I use on my TiVo) and it listed about 60 things, not sure what they all are, though.
karl
Level 1
Level 1

Post by karl »

There was nothing in the logs to suggest what the problem was.

I downloaded firefox 3 and have been using that four a couple of days now and everything seems to be okay.

Thanks

Return to “Beginner Questions”