No sound when headphone jack is plugged in

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lmbob

No sound when headphone jack is plugged in

Post by lmbob »

My problem is the sound plays in headphones when headphone jack is plugged in loosely halfway - when it is plugged in all the way the sound goes off. I am dual booting with Windows 8 on a new Dell Inspiron 15R (5520) laptop, and the sound plays OK when headphone jack is plugged into Windows, so I know that the hardware is not an issue. I am running Linux Mint 14, 64 bit Mate. I have tried all the terminal commands suggested in this forum and nothing works for me. Help!!!

Hope the below helps:

aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC282 Analog [ALC282 Analog]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lmbob

Re: No sound when headphone jack is plugged in

Post by lmbob »

Well, after three days of trying all kinds of suggested terminal commands with no results I clicked on "Menu-Applications-Sound & Video-Volume Control" and switched to any one of the built-in pulse audio options instead of the Alsa mixer which evidently was the default, and everything works great now - laptop speakers and then headphone speakers when jack is plugged in. Sometime the simplest solutions are there if you dig for them!
mfluder

Post by mfluder »

I had the same problem when I started with Mint 13. It drove me crazy until I figured it out. This solution should be posted by default on the desktop when you do a fresh install.
markmywords

Post by markmywords »

I'm running Mint 16 xfce. but this might help. Volume control is pulseaudio. when I plug in headphones, pulseaudio changes output device to headphones. (not sure how. there is no jack sensing on dell d820). probably for this reason, the headphones do not work. If I change pulseaudio output back to speakers, sound comes out of headphones. (probably physical switch off for actual laptop speakers i imagine)

Return to “Hardware Support”