Issues with Skype and Cinnamon

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Sylan

Issues with Skype and Cinnamon

Post by Sylan »

I use Cinnamon with the proprietary AMD drivers. I love being able to have an auto-hiding task bar, but whenever Skype is in use, the task bar hide and unhide animation becomes very glitchy for me, with a broken pixelated screen for a second. I've determined the problem is most likely due to the skype indicator in the tray, but my attempts to remove it have still left the blank space where it was, and the problem persisted. I don't need this indicator, as it has never worked very well to begin with and stands out compared to the rest of the black-and-grey icons in the tray. Is there a proper way to disable it in Cinnamon? A solution to the screen glitching itself is even better, but the only thread I've been able to find regarding it did not contain a solution, so I'm not expecting one.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Issues with Skype and Cinnamon

Post by kc1di »

Hello Sylan and welcome to Mint,

I don't have a solution for you because i believe your problem is with the AMD graphics. and I don't have any machines with that in them.
You might want to try however changing the skype options go to the little skype symbol at the bottom of the login screen and check options about midway down there is a drop down box that defaults to desktop setting try GTK+ instead see if that make any difference.
good luck
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
Sylan

Post by Sylan »

Unfortunately, that did nothing to change the icon issue. Thank you for the suggestion though.
Sylan

Post by Sylan »

I've found the problem does not just occur with Skype, but any software that adds an icon to the tray- ibus causes the same issues for me. Is there any way to disable these?
Sylan

Post by Sylan »

I managed to find the fix for this! Well, not necessarily a "fix", but it suits my needs. If anyone is experiencing these issues and does not necessarily need the icons that are causing them, they can be disabled by switching off the System Tray applet in the Cinnamon settings. This is less than ideal, of course, and came with it's own batch of issues when I first tried it, but it seems to be doing the job I need it to now.

Return to “Software & Applications”