Custom Cursors?

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AKSoapy29

Custom Cursors?

Post by AKSoapy29 »

Hello everyone. I have searched around a bit on how to customize cursors (Download cursor files and use them) but everything I have seen and tried hasn't worked. I have found two cursor files that I would like to use, one or the other:
http://cruxye.deviantart.com/art/Bluecu ... e-96955416
http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/ ... ent=155025

I am using Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon 32 bit installed on a flash drive.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cwsnyder

Re: Custom Cursors?

Post by cwsnyder »

Did you put the cursor theme folder in /usr/share/themes or ~/.themes? Or did you try both? Did you have your permissions set to access the theme folder properly?
AKSoapy29

Post by AKSoapy29 »

What I tried before was exactly that, but it said I didn't have permissions. Where would I go to set permissions?
cwsnyder

Post by cwsnyder »

To move the folder to /usr/share/themes, you would have to do it as an administrator, using sudo or gksudo from the command line, depending on how you wish to move the folder. You would have full permission to make a folder called .themes in your home folder without any resort to the command line.

You can then set the permissions on the folder by right clicking on the folder within your file manager, selecting Properties and then selecting the Permissions tab to make sure you have read, write & execute rights in the folder.
AKSoapy29

Post by AKSoapy29 »

Alright, I copied the folder over to the /usr/share/themes folder and restarted. Looking in the Cinnamon settings under themes, I don't see it. Did I do something wrong?
cwsnyder

Post by cwsnyder »

Did you check your permissions for that new folder and /usr/share/themes/ ?
AKSoapy29

Post by AKSoapy29 »

Yeah. What are they supposed to look like? I can't edit them.
cwsnyder

Post by cwsnyder »

Looks like you are going to have to get your hands dirty with the CLI.

Open a terminal and paste in the following:

Code: Select all

sudo chmod 777 /usr/share/themes/*
You will have to enter your password to execute the code, but you should be able to use your cursors now, if they are placed in the file structure properly.
AKSoapy29

Post by AKSoapy29 »

Alright, tried that. Will I have to restart to make it show up in the settings? If no, I must have done something wrong.

*Restarted my computer, and nothing shows up in the settings.
cwsnyder

Post by cwsnyder »

I have reached the limits of my ignorance. I will have to do some investigation and get back.
SvenRieke

Post by SvenRieke »

The themes folder is not the right place.

It's the icons folder where your cursor file should go.

You have one in your home folder ~/.icons or the system wide one /usr/share/icons

I normally decompress the cursor files into ~/.icons/name_of_cursor theme, for example, mine looks like this:
$ ls ~/.icons
default Eclipse microzoa README Relic_Gold
Each of these folders contains:
$ ls ~/.icons/Eclipse/
cursors index.theme
The cursors folder contains the picture files.
You should make sure you have read permissions to these folders, f.ex.:
$ sudo chmod -R a+r ~/.icons
If you copy the files here you should have permission anyway.

Then I use Ubuntu Tweak for changing the cursor theme in the Tweaks section. You should see your cursor themes in the Popup List control.

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”