A whale of a time trying to boot from USB

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
-mathsLin

A whale of a time trying to boot from USB

Post by -mathsLin »

Hi all!!

So I am having a whale of a time (well not really) trying to boot from USB drives.

I am using UnivesalUSB and can only get the Mint 32 to boot correctly onto my XPS 17 machine :(

Also I am having lots of problems with transparent windows and unreadable text on white background when I run the Bootable 32-bit 14 on my Dell Dimension 4600i.

The persistance setup made by UnivesalUSB never works.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
raymerjacque
Level 4
Level 4

Re: A whale of a time trying to boot from USB

Post by raymerjacque »

i used pendrivelinux to make usb installer and it worked out the box.
-mathsLin

Post by -mathsLin »

I used unetbootin 32 bit mint and it worked :)
usbtux

Post by usbtux »

http://youtu.be/pq2bsTh_dDs How to use unetbootin to make a liveusb
viking777

Post by viking777 »

I've been wrestling with a similar problem only today. I tried three different tools, the mint one, the ubuntu one and unetbootin. The results were:

mint tool - three tries none bootable
ubuntu tool - two tries one bootable one not
unetbootin - two tries both bootable.

Persistence is another matter altogether. The mint tool doesn't even offer the option. The ubuntu tool offers the option but it doesn't work, unetbootin offers the tool and it doesn't work unless you fiddle with it.

To get it going you have to manually edit particular files. To do this you view the usbkey from another distro (ie don't boot from it). If your usbkey is booting from syslinux then open it in a file manager and make sure that all the boot entries in syslinux.cfg have the word 'persistent' included eg:

label unetbootindefault
menu label Default
kernel /ubnkern
append initrd=/ubninit file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper quiet splash -- persistent

If it is booting from grub as mine was (you know because it says 'grub' at the top of the boot screen) you have to search around the usbkey file system for the grub.cfg file (in my case it was in /boot/grub where you would usually expect to find it). You then have to edit this file to look like this:

menuentry "Try Ubuntu without installing" {
set gfxpayload=keep
linux /casper/vmlinuz.efi.signed file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper persistent --
initrd /casper/initrd.lz

That was what worked for me. I don't think it matters which side of the -- characters the word persistent goes, the first example was there by default and the second example was my own work.

PS. If anyone can tell me how to incorporate color tags within code tags on this forum I would really like to know, because I can't do it.
-mathsLin

Post by -mathsLin »

Yeah nice one!! Thats what I'll do if I can't take my PC with me. For now I'm happy to boot off the HD!

Return to “Installation & Boot”