Reset Graphic Mode?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
|Arch|

Reset Graphic Mode?

Post by |Arch| »

Hi,

TLDR; how to reset graphic mode / resolution with nvidia drivers.

I've been trying the native linux version of steam, and if I run native fullscreen in the game FTL, the resolution changes and my 2nd monitor is disabled. This is fine, but when I exit the game, my 2nd monitor is still disabled and the mainscreen is only showing top left corner of the desktop, hiding the menu and similar things from me. This makes me feel helpless, and my only solution for now has been to restart my computer.

I'm assuming it's just a matter of telling my display driver to reset back into previous display mode after exiting my game, but I've no clue how to do that. Any ideas?

Linux Mint 14 64bit Cinnamon, Nvidia 570 with 3.10 experimental beta drivers installed.

As a workaround, I guess I could log into another tty, startx and then launch the game from there so that it does not affect my main tty, but I think that's kind of messy. I could also play windowed mode, but that just hides the issue.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cecar

Re: Reset Graphic Mode?

Post by cecar »

I dont know if this will work but try to login to another tty when that happends and check if the resolution resets back to default.

Code: Select all

xrandr -s 0
|Arch|

Post by |Arch| »

If I log into a new tty and start xserver, it works for that instance, but if I switch back to the old tty, the view is still unchanged.
passerby

Post by passerby »

You should be able to restart x using ctrl + alt + backspace. It'll log you out, but it beats rebooting.

Return to “Beginner Questions”