Uninstall programmes

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
carnelian

Uninstall programmes

Post by carnelian »

Mint comes with a great amount of programmes already installed. I am probably showing my ignorance here, but the majority I do not need. I note that Mint takes a long time to open up - is it because of all these programmes, and should I uninstall them all? :?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Uninstall programmes

Post by xenopeek »

Any program that you don't start is not using your PC's CPU or RAM either, so those programs aren't the cause of any slow down. It is the combination of the desktop environment you picked and your hardware. Now there may be some problem with the drivers for your hardware that cause it to be slower, but most likely you are using a desktop environment unfit for your hardware.

If you want any advice on that, please share the output of the following command run on the terminal:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
DrHu

Re: Uninstall programmes

Post by DrHu »

You can uninstall any applications you don't want, but I would be careful about graphics drivers/network drivers, X-server and desktop themes, as well as the GUI login manager (x-server client, such as mdm, gdm )
--you can find the installed programs under synaptic ( a gui package manager)
  • You may not want more than one graphics applications, or may only want a vector based(scales well for drawings/images..) or a bit-mapped one, such as a paint program (better for photographs))
The number of applications installed won't really slow down the system, if they are not being loaded (they simply take up some storage (hard drive) space
  • --however you can eliminate quite a few processes that are loaded, and possibly some modules, depending on your system configuration -- this does in fact slow down the system, by taking up some RAM that you could use more effectively for your preferred/running applications
  • You do need to research for the names of these process: services in ubuntu/mint terminology (there is a Gnome GUI screen that can show you the running services/processes)
    --check their names under Ubuntu to see what their purpose is: for example unless you need or want detect devices (printers/networks) as they are connected, you don't need the avahi service
Being careful in what you want to attempt removing from the system is the watchword..
http://www.addictivetips.com/ubuntu-lin ... ntu-linux/

Return to “Software & Applications”