XFS on Mint? Or should I be using another fs?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
YoelT

XFS on Mint? Or should I be using another fs?

Post by YoelT »

What do I need to do to get XFS working on Mint? Mint is running on an Ext4 drive. But I am adding two internal 2tb drives for storage. I installed xfsprogs and was able to format a new drive in XFS, but then I can't actually write to the drive or do anything with it. What am I missing?

Do I really even need XFS? I want to set up the two 2TB drives to be mirrors of each other, so that all the data on one drive is backed up on the other. I know BTFS is set up for copy on write, but it is not stable enough. What else could I do aside from RAID to achieve this? ZFS is still not a viable option either right?

Kernel : Linux 3.5.0-17-generic (x86_64)
Distribution : Linux Mint 14 Nadia
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Re: XFS on Mint? Or should I be using another fs?

Post by AlbertP »

I think XFS should work on Mint. Maybe you're having an issue with file or directory permissions.

Also, Btrfs is probably fine. It should be working quite well in Mint 14.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
YoelT

Post by YoelT »

Fixed!
Right click drive on desktop > Open as Root
Right click on drive in opened Elevated Privileges window > Properties > Permissions > Change owner to me!

So my next question. What is the best way to set two hard drives to be mirrors or each other. Similar to a RAID1 config, but not actually using RAID?

I want a system where if a file changes on drive A, that same file on drive B is also updated at the same time. (Without any user interaction.)
TheForumTroll

Post by TheForumTroll »

Why would you not want to use RAID if you want a mirrored disk? If you use some other way to mirror the files, then a faulty drive could cause bad/broken files to be mirrored to the good drive too. Software RAID works fine if you don't have a controller card.
penzoiders

Post by penzoiders »

I've seen Btrfs at work, It's under developement, but it's stable enough: I use it in production for my virtual machine storage pool, and I can get far better results in terms of R/W performance than mdraid.

It's really a great FS, RAID configuration is easy, flexible and you really can have a cool performance upgrade with compression.

I'm going to install Mint with Btrfs also on my DELL Latitude.
I've powered it with a SanDisk Extreme 480 Gb, and to get the most out of it I'll use Btrfs.. here a tutorial I wrote in order to install on btrfs having separate subvolumes for home and root:

http://penzoditutto.blogspot.it/2013/02 ... ebian.html

hope it helps.
YoelT

Post by YoelT »

Thanks for that info, im taking a look at that.
penzoiders

Post by penzoiders »

you may experience some slowliness if enabling "discard".. this is due to kernel not implementing latest patches.

you may try installing liquorix kernel or disable "discard" and run occasionally "fstrim" to zero the empty space.

Return to “Beginner Questions”