Enter Password for Default Keyring to Unlock

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Re: Enter Password for Default Keyring to Unlock

Post by Husse »

@ smac
I agree - however it's a (rather small?) minority that has the problem so for most people it is useful
This is on my to do list and when releases are done I might talk to the team about it
Husse

Post by Husse »

@ danielbritt
Glad it worked for you and welcome to Mint
Unfortunately there are others (but not many) that are not helped by this and also in this topic if my memory serves me right
jaspmatt

Post by jaspmatt »

Here is a solution (credit given to an Ubuntu forum entry) that I just tried and it works for me on Mint 7:

You can make nm-applet not use keyrings to connect to certain wireless hotspots - therefore you don't need a password to unlock the keyring thing as it isn't needed.

Right click on nm-applet -> "Edit connection"
Go to the "Wireless" tab
Click on the wireless hotspot you want to automatically connect to
Click the "Edit" button
At the bottom of the window, you should see a tick box which says "Available to all users".
Tick it and click Apply!

Voila!
You can now auto-login without having to enter the keyring password every time without any workarounds whatsoever.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Hey jaspmatt
Are you the Borg queen :) :)
jaspmatt

Post by jaspmatt »

That's my gf ...
Liszt

Post by Liszt »

I had this exact problem and had also installed with the automatic login.

Jaspmatt's solution:

Right click on nm-applet -> "Edit connection"
Go to the "Wireless" tab
Click on the wireless hotspot you want to automatically connect to
Click the "Edit" button
At the bottom of the window, you should see a tick box which says "Available to all users".
Tick it and click Apply!

worked for me too, so thankyou very much....solved a major headache!
dsmurl

Post by dsmurl »

I am running mint 14 with mate and there is no option for "passwords and encryption" under accesories or preferences. Am I missing something. The command line asks for the keyring password 5 times every time I try to update my svn. It doesn't even matter what I put in as the password. Is there some service or something missing?

I also have no ~/.gnome2/keyring directory.

Oh ya, I running gnome2. This is a base install with all default options. My friend installed the same OS and has the "passwords and encryption" option under preferences. What tha deal? I have reinstalled mint a total of 9 times in the last two days for small problems like this. Is mint stable or what?

- Sam
dsmurl

Post by dsmurl »

Semi-fixed by installing a [ackage called "seahorse"? I guess that is the menu item for the "passwords and encryption" option or something like that? I don't know why this didn't get installed with the install of the OS but aparently it needs a little help some times. There are still no keyrings listed in there so I'll have to do a little more searching and debugging.

Return to “Networking”