How to restrict Nepomuk indexing?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Siva Suresh

How to restrict Nepomuk indexing?

Post by Siva Suresh »

I recently installed Mint14 KDE and found that "Nepomuk Search Indexing" takes hours and days to complete indexing and does not always give what I want.

Can you please tell me a way to control Nepomuk to only index filenames and nothing else, so that It completes the indexing quickly.

I tried another tool "FSRunner" for "KRunner". It works well and does exactly what I want. But, it is buggy and is not actively developed, does not have official KDE repository.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: How to restrict Nepomuk indexing?

Post by xenopeek »

Made you your own topic, as you had replied to an almost 3 year old topic. Please do not reply to topics older than 6 months and consider which section to post a question (the support section is a better place for your question than the chat section :wink:). See also the "how to get help" section of the forum rules for more tips on getting answers to your questions.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Easy go to Settings>Desktop Search> there are tabs in there that allow you to turn off altogether.
Or Adjust Indexing.
catch22
Level 4
Level 4

Post by catch22 »

Siva Suresh wrote:I recently installed Mint14 KDE and found that "Nepomuk Search Indexing" takes hours and days to complete indexing and does not always give what I want.

Can you please tell me a way to control Nepomuk to only index filenames and nothing else, so that It completes the indexing quickly.

I tried another tool "FSRunner" for "KRunner". It works well and does exactly what I want. But, it is buggy and is not actively developed, does not have official KDE repository.
Like Orbmiser said, you can turn it all off.
I use Catfish http://linuxappfinder.com/package/catfish to search; very fast.
anandrkris

Post by anandrkris »

Hi Siva -

You may want to upgrade to KDE 4.10 where Nepomuk runs only when system is idle and is not as buggy as it used to be.There is also a Nepomuk cleaner to clean up dirty meta data,etc. Also, Nepomuk now builds a simple file name index first then an advanced index based on content, etc.

More from the KDE Developer blog below -
We've split the working of the indexer into two parts - The first basic indexing and second full file indexing. The basic indexing quickly indexes the basic information about the file such as the filename and mimetype. This allows us to always at least answer simple queries. The other queue, which is only run when the user is idle, extracts the full information about the file.
Check this http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 9&t=124912 thread for more info on KDE 4.10.

Read this for an elaborate review.

Return to “Software & Applications”