The best Linux 14 distro

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rmcellig
Level 4
Level 4

The best Linux 14 distro

Post by rmcellig »

I am currently using Mint 14 xfce on one of my laptops. I like it but I was wondering which of the Mint distros offer the most complete experience and straight forward user experience for newcomers to Linux.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Take care,

Randy
www.mcran.com - my web site
www.chuo.fm - My radio show every Sunday from noon-2pm or 89.1 fM
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: The best Linux 14 distro

Post by xenopeek »

In my opinion Cinnamon is easier to pick up and, again in my opinion, gives a better first impression. I'd guess MATE and Xfce look dated to users coming from Windows 7/8 or OS X? KDE is also very nice, perhaps more suitable to power users that have specific needs for configuring every aspect of their desktop's behavior. My current favorites are Cinnamon and KDE, with Xfce for older machines and servers because it is a little less demanding on the graphics card.

After having used GNOME 2 and MATE for many years, I've been on Cinnamon now for a few months. MATE uses more memory than Cinnamon and feels much slower. To me its no longer a contender, but I know a lot of users are very happy with it :wink: I'm interested to see what the MATE developers come up with next and in which direction they will take MATE.
rmcellig
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rmcellig »

Thanks for your comments. I agree with everything you mention. Has Cinnamon been stable for you?
Take care,

Randy
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

For me found some strange issues with Cinnamon 14 like tray icons coming up invisible or all blocked out squares. And required a cinnamon restart. Also for some reason half the time my external usb drives wouldn't show in Nemo tho rebooting or logging out back in solved the issue and magically appeared.

Now using KDE and liking it over Cinnamon. As has a few things important to me. Like remember window size & position on dual display. Also things like remember session so log out or reboot and desktop starts up with my 3 main programs open ready for use.

I keep reading KDE is bloated and far as I'm concerned that is plain FUD! Cinnamon on desktop startup idle was clocking in at 700-800mb with a few applets like weather & gmail.

On KDE am starting up desktop clean at 462mb'ish which is quite a difference to Cinnamon. Using same startup applets weather and kgmail.

Loading up a Term,Dolphin file manager (Puts Nemo to shame Tho Nemo is still a baby and developing quite nice).
Also Firefox with a few tabs cranks KDE up to 750-800mb and on Cinnamon that goes to 1.1mb or so.

And KDE is just a tad larger footprint over xfce and comes with all kinds of desktop effects and customizing. Also found KDE faster and more responsive than Cinnamon 14.
igor83

Post by igor83 »

Orbmiser wrote:For me found some strange issues with Cinnamon 14 like tray icons coming up invisible or all blocked out squares. And required a cinnamon restart. Also for some reason half the time my external usb drives wouldn't show in Nemo tho rebooting or logging out back in solved the issue and magically appeared.

Now using KDE and liking it over Cinnamon. As has a few things important to me. Like remember window size & position on dual display. Also things like remember session so log out or reboot and desktop starts up with my 3 main programs open ready for use.

I keep reading KDE is bloated and far as I'm concerned that is plain FUD! Cinnamon on desktop startup idle was clocking in at 700-800mb with a few applets like weather & gmail.

On KDE am starting up desktop clean at 462mb'ish which is quite a difference to Cinnamon. Using same startup applets weather and kgmail.

Loading up a Term,Dolphin file manager (Puts Nemo to shame Tho Nemo is still a baby and developing quite nice).
Also Firefox with a few tabs cranks KDE up to 750-800mb and on Cinnamon that goes to 1.1mb or so.

And KDE is just a tad larger footprint over xfce and comes with all kinds of desktop effects and customizing. Also found KDE faster and more responsive than Cinnamon 14.
I like KDE too, but the KDE wallet has gotten to be an annoyance. It pops up everytime I boot my laptop in a remote location where I want to connect to the local wireless. The password for the wireless network is already stored. I don't understand why I have to enter it everytime. Why can't KDE remember the password for me? Mate could... it is like KDE has a problem remembering passwords. I had a similar issue on my desktop. Everytime I loaded Kmail, up came KDE wallet asking me for my email password. Yet everytime I clicked on the checkbox that said "Remember password," but it didn't. Eventually I uninstalled Kmail and went with Thunderbird; problem solved. I think KDE wallet is the weakest link in KDE. I would like to know how to disable KDE wallet permanently in every KDE system I have. I don't need the security. Didn't have it before and don't need it now.

I was hoping you might know a solution.... :)
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Cinnamon has been very stable for me, no issues. I've had one problem with desktop icons not being shown, needing a restart of Cinnamon, but after further investigation that was being cause by the game Trine 2 :| Perhaps it depends also a bit on your hardware, I have an Intel graphics card so is problem free graphics wise.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

rmcellig wrote:Has Cinnamon been stable for you?
I moved full time to Linux Mint & Cinnamon over the Christmas break. I've been a Windows developer since the beta versions of Windows 1.0 while working at Ashton-Tate (dBase), so my entire working career has been based on DOS & Windows. I can tell you, if there were stability issues I'd be the first to complain, and I'd have chucked Mint in the bin, as I've done with so many other linux distros over the years.

The only trouble I've had with Mint has been caused by my messing around and learning the guts of it, compiling my own kernels and doing other crazy stuff, but a clonezilla disk image came to the rescue.

I absolutely love Mint and Cinnamon. The UI is crisp and clean, which I prefer. I can't stand KDE; I see it as a grossly over-bloated mess.

That's my 2c worth. Keep the change :mrgreen:
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
igor83

Post by igor83 »

TehGhodTrole wrote:
rmcellig wrote:Has Cinnamon been stable for you?
I moved full time to Linux Mint & Cinnamon over the Christmas break. I've been a Windows developer since the beta versions of Windows 1.0 while working at Ashton-Tate (dBase), so my entire working career has been based on DOS & Windows. I can tell you, if there were stability issues I'd be the first to complain, and I'd have chucked Mint in the bin, as I've done with so many other linux distros over the years.

The only trouble I've had with Mint has been caused by my messing around and learning the guts of it, compiling my own kernels and doing other crazy stuff, but a clonezilla disk image came to the rescue.

I absolutely love Mint and Cinnamon. The UI is crisp and clean, which I prefer. I can't stand KDE; I see it as a grossly over-bloated mess.

That's my 2c worth. Keep the change :mrgreen:
Well, I was loyal to Xfce and Mate until I ran into various limitations with the default file managers. A KDE fan told me to try Dolphin. Once you try Dolphin, you never go back. Now it's KDE all the way. Dolphin and K3b are my main reasons for using KDE. That and the fact that KDE makes it a lot easier to customize the desktop just the way I like it; I'm very picky about the desktop appearance.
rmcellig
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rmcellig »

I just installed Cinammon 14 on my laptop. Works well. I never tried Mint 14 KDE so maybe I will install it next to Cinammon and see if I like it.
Take care,

Randy
homerscousin

Post by homerscousin »

I can't stand KDE; I see it as a grossly over-bloated mess.
KDE makes it a lot easier to customize the desktop just the way I like it; I'm very picky about the desktop appearance.
KDE can be a little confusing and overwhelming at first or even tough to remember "how the heck did I change that" from 2 months ago. But, if you're like me and would rather mess with your desktop and create something unique looking than doing other boring things, KDE is the only way to go.
jsalpha2

Post by jsalpha2 »

I',m a linux newbie, have been using Mint 14 Xfce for only a few weeks. "Xfce look dated to users coming from Windows 7/8" That's why I like it. For years I've tried to un-update the new versions of Windows. Some allowed you to switch to Classic version. Windows 8 was the final straw. I was happy with the Windows 2000 desktop. Also Xfce works better on older hardware and seems snappier. I just tried the new Linux Mint Cinnamon 32 bit Release Candidate on a flash drive and it seems nice, but I'm going to wait for the Xfce edition.

**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Hello, my name is Jsalpha2 and I'm a newbie.
3fRI

Post by 3fRI »

Everyone has a favorite distro and good reasons for his or her preference. I've tried all of the Mint flavors during the past 3 years or so, but I prefer a minimalist distro. For me, less is more, so I go with Xfce with Mint. :D
drewdlekins

Post by drewdlekins »

This is one of those Taste The Difference things.

Every DE has it's pros and cons. Cinnamon is lovely, and everyone who has worked to make it what it is should be very proud. For my purposes, I prefer lightning quick over pretty, and because my main system is five years old now, I run the MATE version. I could run XFCE and get similar results, but I prefer setting MATE up to look identical to the old GNOME 2 interface, which is a close-but-not-quite effort under XFCE.

My partner uses XFCE on a brand new Acer, not because she needs the speed, because Cinnamon was blazing fast on her machine, but because she loves customizing XFCE to such an extent that only the clairvoyant (or herself) could have a hope in finding anything or using it. She had been using XFCE on her old machine, a Toshiba, and again, out of personal preference more than anything (although Cinnamon did have difficulty on that hardware).

It really is awesome to have so much choice with Mint, unlike some other distros that I may or may not have escaped from. :wink:

Return to “Non-technical Questions”