Cinnamon "grid" icons

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
Syndacate

Re: Cinnamon "grid" icons

Post by Syndacate »

dogsolitude_uk wrote:OPTIONAL?!?! :shock: But... But... Options are soooo last decade. They went out the window with Gnome 2, Windows 8 and Unity. The way forward these days is to have an idea, or better still a 'vision' and force people to put up with it whether they like it or not. You don't really want to give users the ability to adapt their work environment to their preferred way of working, surely?

Blimey, the Mint guys will be soliciting feedback on user experience and asking for suggestions and new ideas next...

Oh, wait...

:mrgreen:
Gnome 2 had plenty of options. Perhaps you meant Gnome 3?
dogsolitude_uk

Post by dogsolitude_uk »

Syndacate wrote:
dogsolitude_uk wrote:OPTIONAL?!?! :shock: But... But... Options are soooo last decade. They went out the window with Gnome 2, Windows 8 and Unity. The way forward these days is to have an idea, or better still a 'vision' and force people to put up with it whether they like it or not. You don't really want to give users the ability to adapt their work environment to their preferred way of working, surely?

Blimey, the Mint guys will be soliciting feedback on user experience and asking for suggestions and new ideas next...

Oh, wait...

:mrgreen:
Gnome 2 had plenty of options. Perhaps you meant Gnome 3?
Yes. Yes I did.
BlackFox

Post by BlackFox »

Just chiming in as a new user. Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon is my first experience with Linux and for me it's really these small things like having properly aligning desktop icons, as well as many many other small details that are really turning me off from Linux. I just don't have time for this BS, and it's really sad to learn that this has been an unresolved problem for years. Especially considering how simple the solution should be.

If the developers are not going to do something about it, then is there any patch or workaround that we the community can come up with?
spynoodle

Post by spynoodle »

As a relative newcomer to Mint, I definitely agree with this. I thought something was a little weird with my desktop, but I didn't notice the issue until I stumbled upon this thread. There's no reason not to fix this!
Syndacate

Post by Syndacate »

BlackFox wrote:Just chiming in as a new user. Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon is my first experience with Linux and for me it's really these small things like having properly aligning desktop icons, as well as many many other small details that are really turning me off from Linux. I just don't have time for this BS, and it's really sad to learn that this has been an unresolved problem for years. Especially considering how simple the solution should be.

If the developers are not going to do something about it, then is there any patch or workaround that we the community can come up with?
Yeah, I thought about doing it, as I have the software dev experience and I have the drive...but I don't have the time to get acquainted with the system (I don't know how Gnome works behind the scene) :-\. That's the big ball-buster. I don't know the general architecture of the system, which means I'd have to figure it all out on my own, which is a pain, especially if you're constantly crushed for time like I am. That's why I brought this issue up here. I brought it up for Gnome2 in the Ubuntu forums in hopes that somebody would take notice but nobody did. Hopefully here, where they're more 'customer oriented' - they can deal with it, because I have a laundry list of people who it has pissed off and turned away from Linux (as you said, it's the small things like these that annoy you), and it really shouldn't be that way. If people are turned away from Linux it should be the lack of mainstream apps or something, not because the icons are aligned like ass.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

palo wrote:Just have a feeling that there may be others that may not want this feature request.
There are those of us who don't like desktop icons at all so don't care either way :mrgreen:

Nevertheless, it's a worthy option to support. Option being the operative word.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Syndacate

Post by Syndacate »

TehGhodTrole wrote:
palo wrote:Just have a feeling that there may be others that may not want this feature request.
There are those of us who don't like desktop icons at all so don't care either way :mrgreen:

Nevertheless, it's a worthy option to support. Option being the operative word.
Yeah, Ubuntu has proven many times that forcing people into things isn't always the best solution. A simple preferences check box in appearance would do just dandy, IMO :).
chiec

Post by chiec »

I think this is a must, and not so difficult to do.
Emanuele

Post by Emanuele »

I join the request. It is such a lack of basic feature that makes Linux world far from user appeal. Modern commercial operating systems develop innovative feature but still mantain what is known as essential desktop facilities. I've discovered Linux Mint about 4 months ago, I find it a good distro, with great capability. But it still doesn't resolve terrible troubles like xscreensaver inhibition (introduced by Ubuntu standard violation), icon grid placement, firefox startup time, gedit startup time (the standard text editor I mean!!), menu startup time (only mate DE).

How can a fresh windows user deal with them? If I weren't a free software supporter, I would have dropped Linux world a long time ago. Choice is important, but commond standards between distroes are necessary to build something good upon. If Ubuntu has made a bad choice, it's time to have a change. This fork should BE the change, we now have transparent menus, the expo view, a graceful notification system and so on, but how long should we wait for a working screensaver?

Does free software mean slowness, boredom, staticness? If it does, it won't never be an alternative.
wilo108

Post by wilo108 »

Jesse_V

Post by Jesse_V »

I followed this instructions posted here: https://github.com/linuxmint/nemo/issue ... t-54789165 and I have a nice even grid on my desktop!

Since this committed into Github, I expect that a future release of Nemo will have this 2D grid. In the meantime, I applied the commit and have it myself. :)
King Crimson

Post by King Crimson »

[double post]
Last edited by King Crimson on Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
King Crimson

Post by King Crimson »

I also followed the above instructions on LMC 17.1 (Rebecca) x64 and it works a treat. They might be a bit confusing to beginners, though, who will definitely miss a few steps that are hardly worth mentioning to more advanced users. So if someone should struggle with them, here's a step-by-step guide for newbies to linux:

1. In terminal, get compiler and everything

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install build-essential dpkg-dev
2. Activate source repositories in package-sources from the start menu

3. In terminal, make folder for compilation, where the source files will be downloaded to, and change to that folder

mkdir nemo
cd nemo
4. Get the Nemo source code

sudo apt-get source nemo
5. Get everything needed to build Nemo

sudo apt-get build-dep nemo
6. Modify the source file – in Nemo, change to the nemo/nemo-2.4.5+rebecca folder, right-click the libnemo-private folder to open it as administrator and double-click the nemo-icon-container.c file to open it in the default text editor

7. Search for the Desktop layout mode defines string and make the following changes:

/* Desktop layout mode defines */
#define DESKTOP_PAD_HORIZONTAL 	10
#define DESKTOP_PAD_VERTICAL 	1
#define SNAP_SIZE_X 		78
#define SNAP_SIZE_Y 		88
Close the file to save and close Nemo.

8. In terminal, change to the nemo/nemo-2.4.5+rebecca folder and build the package

sudo dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -us –uc
9. Install the package

sudo dpkg -i nemo_2.4.5+rebecca_amd64.deb
10. Exit terminal and restart system, then delete the nemo folder
hunny

Post by hunny »

Newbie here.

Surprised it is still is an issue!

If you have a desktop with icon then you need to organise it properly, don't you?

Dock is not for everyone!
JustJinxed

Post by JustJinxed »

Come now... 5 years and there's now a "keep aligned" option when you right-click on the desktop, yet it doesn't work?

Has anyone even sent this upstream to nemo I wonder?
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

justjinxed, welcome to the forum; if you want to talk about this more, I suggest you start a new thread. This one is too old and I'm locking it.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

PS. This is already implemented in the Nemo version used on Linux Mint 18.2. See https://github.com/linuxmint/nemo/pull/1466.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”