Disable History in Home Folder?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
laukce01

Disable History in Home Folder?

Post by laukce01 »

Is it possible to disable the Histrory in the Home folder? In the top menu, in the Home Folder, if you click on Go, at the bottom of the drop down, you can see the folders that you have accessed. How can this be disabled so one doesn't have to manually deleate or clear the history every time?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: Disable History in Home Folder?

Post by viking777 »

I don't get any History in the 'Go' menu - I wish I did, it would be a really useful feature. Back and forward buttons is the nearest I come to that. Which file manager are you using anyway?
laukce01

Post by laukce01 »

I'm not sure which file manager I'm using. I've got LinuxMint 13 Maya.

After I click on the Home folder on the desktop, the top menu bar as File, Edit, View, Go, etc. When you click on Go at the bottom is shows the history of folder's you've been too. I want to try and disable that as sometimes it's confidential stuff. There is a manual option to "Clear History" but I may and most likely will forget at some point.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Mint13 still has Nautilus as default. I have 13 installed on a old machine, so I fired that up and had a look, still no sign of any History at all, just Home, Computer, Templates, Rubbish Bin, Network, Location and Search. Maybe we are looking in different places, but you described it well enough, so I think I know what you are talking about. My difficulty in seeing what should be a simple answer is probably compounded by the fact that I don't use any of the default Mint file managers, Nemo, Caja or Nautilus. I still have them installed, but I hardly use them at all and haven't done for a couple of years.

Just a wild thought here (I can't check it out myself) if you right click on the Start Menu and select 'Properties' are there any settings in there that mention saving/displaying History? Just wondering if the settings in there are reflected in Nautilus?

One other thing that puzzles me (and your computer is your own business, I am not prying, you have no need to answer this if you don't want to), if you have multiple users on your computer and they each have a login then they will each have different Home folders with different histories. If you use the same login between users then what difference does displaying the history make? If another user comes along and opens you Home folder they can read anything that is in it, they don't need to consult your History to do that, so how does this improve your privacy? Don't get me wrong, I am very much concerned about privacy myself, it is just that I don't see how this will improve things.
laukce01

Post by laukce01 »

Ya, I don't know what's going on. Looks like I can't do anything about it. No big deal.

Return to “Beginner Questions”