Questiion about wi-fi in Mint vs. Lubuntu

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
keithvalenza1

Mint vs. Lubuntu in wi-fi

Post by keithvalenza1 »

I have lubuntu set up on my HP 2000 laptop through WUBI and everything works well. I have noticed that, for the last couple of years, every flavor of Ubuntu I have ever used (Kubuntu, Lubuntu, Ubuntu, and Xubuntu) has recognized my wi-fi and I have connected with no trouble. Yet when I have tried switching to Mint, which I like even better, I have all kinds of problems with it and I can never connect wirelessly. Am I nuts, or does Ubuntu have drivers for wi-fi that Mint does not?

I would like to try Mint once again. This would obviously involve deleting Wubi and installing Mint alongside Windows. I hate to go to all of the trouble of switching if I have to go through hoops to get my wi-fi to work. Am I just imagining things, or shouldn't Mint recognize the same drivers that Ubuntu does? Any suggestions?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Mint vs. Lubuntu in wi-fi

Post by catweazel »

keithvalenza1 wrote:Am I nuts ... ?
It's possible.

Maybe you could post some accurate observations, details, and machine/equipment specifications instead of just generally complaining.
Am I just imagining things ... ?
That's also possible.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
keithvalenza1

Post by keithvalenza1 »

I am not just complaining. It is a sincere question. I can't give specifics because the machines I had problems with I am no longer using. What I am asking is if I should go to the trouble of deleting my current lubuntu OS and replacing it with Linux Mint. Does Linux Mint have the same drivers for wi-fi as Ubuntu? I have a Ralink RT 5390 802.11 b/g/n wi-fi adapter and a Realtek PCIe FE family controller.

My Lubuntu works fine with this wi-fi connection. Will it work with Linux Mint? (That question CAN be answered if Mint uses the exact same drivers as Lubuntu or Ubuntu. That is what I want to know.)
keithvalenza1

Questiion about wi-fi in Mint vs. Lubuntu

Post by keithvalenza1 »

I posted this topic a couple of days ago, and all I got was one sarcastic response that wa not very helpful, so I am rewording it and reposting it again. Hopefully, this time I can get some kind of a sincere answer:

I have lubuntu set up on my HP 2000 laptop through WUBI and everything works well. I have noticed that, for the last couple of years, every flavor of Ubuntu I have ever used (Kubuntu, Lubuntu, Ubuntu, and Xubuntu) has recognized my wi-fi and I have connected with no trouble. Yet when I have tried switching to Mint, which I like even better, I have all kinds of problems with it and I can never connect wirelessly.

I would like to try Mint once again. This would obviously involve deleting the current Wubi and installing Mint alongside Windows. I hate to go to all of the trouble of switching if I have to go through hoops to get my wi-fi to work. Does Linux Mint have the same drivers for wi-fi as Ubuntu? I have a Ralink RT 5390 802.11 b/g/n wi-fi adapter and a Realtek PCIe FE family controller.

My Lubuntu works fine with its wi-fi connection. Will it work with Linux Mint? (That question CAN be answered if Mint uses the exact same drivers as Lubuntu or Ubuntu. That is what I want to know.) If Mint does not have the same drivers, I need to know that as well.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Questiion about wi-fi in Mint vs. Lubuntu

Post by catweazel »

keithvalenza1 wrote:(That question CAN be answered if Mint uses the exact same drivers as Lubuntu or Ubuntu. That is what I want to know.) If Mint does not have the same drivers, I need to know that as well.
I doubt anyone would be so compulsively obsessive as to want to determine whether or not "Mint uses the exact same drivers as Lubuntu or Ubuntu." That said, it is the kernel that manages the drivers, not the distribution per se.

I recommend that you create a small space for a test installation of Mint then, if you have issues, you can post accurate information about the problem and get accurate advice instead of asking others to make wildly blind speculations about things that may not ever happen.

If you think that reply is sarcastic too, well <shrug>. At least you got a straight answer.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

keithvalenza1 wrote:I have a Ralink RT 5390 802.11 b/g/n wi-fi adapter
http://forums.linuxmint.com/search.php? ... mit=Search
keithvalenza1

Post by keithvalenza1 »

TehGhodTrole wrote:
keithvalenza1 wrote:(That question CAN be answered if Mint uses the exact same drivers as Lubuntu or Ubuntu. That is what I want to know.) If Mint does not have the same drivers, I need to know that as well.
I doubt anyone would be so compulsively obsessive as to want to determine whether or not "Mint uses the exact same drivers as Lubuntu or Ubuntu." That said, it is the kernel that manages the drivers, not the distribution per se.

I recommend that you create a small space for a test installation of Mint then, if you have issues, you can post accurate information about the problem and get accurate advice instead of asking others to make wildly blind speculations about things that may not ever happen.

If you think that reply is sarcastic too, well <shrug>. At least you got a straight answer.
Not sarcastic, but a bit snobby in tone. I am asking honest questions and you belittle me for asking them. I have been as specific as I can. I am not an expert on this subject. I was hoping someone else would respond.
anandrkris

Post by anandrkris »

Perhaps you can download the latest version of Mint and use a Live DVD to check if wi-fi works seamlessly. If your hardware is readily recoginzed then you could go ahead with installtion. As pointed out by @TehGhodTrole, hardware specifics will help. You can also check if your laptop is listed in hardware section and has know issues.

http://community.linuxmint.com/hardware/view/12656 - HP 2000-314NR - Similar hardware

I know Mint is based on Ubuntu and i presume that will have same additional drivers packages as Ubuntu, not sure though.
keithvalenza1

Post by keithvalenza1 »

anandrkris wrote:Perhaps you can download the latest version of Mint and use a Live DVD to check if wi-fi works seamlessly. If your hardware is readily recoginzed then you could go ahead with installtion. As pointed out by @TehGhodTrole, hardware specifics will help. You can also check if your laptop is listed in hardware section and has know issues.

http://community.linuxmint.com/hardware/view/12656 - HP 2000-314NR - Similar hardware

I know Mint is based on Ubuntu and i presume that will have same additional drivers packages as Ubuntu, not sure though.
It works. Thanks. I am glad SOMEONE gave me a civil answer.

Return to “Networking”