Cinnamon's Search

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
zzaw

Cinnamon's Search

Post by zzaw »

So I've just installed mint with cinnamon however the menu's search seems to behave strangely. Generally if I type in s I would expect it to bring up everything starting with s first and so on as I type more.
However it seems the output either just brings up anything containing s or it's completely random until I have typed enough characters to isolate one program/file. Was just wondering if this was intended or not?

Cheers
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Cinnamon's Search

Post by catweazel »

zzaw wrote:Was just wondering if this was intended or not?
Yes, it is. The search is looking at descriptive text as well as at the file name. It's not random, either. For example, if you install bleachbit, while the word 'privacy' is not in the file name, it is in the file's description so typing in 'privacy' will bring up bleachbit if you have it installed.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
zzaw

Re: Cinnamon's Search

Post by zzaw »

That makes sense but I still think it should show the direct matches at the top.

Return to “Cinnamon”