Desktop WiFi Adapter

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dritz33

Desktop WiFi Adapter

Post by dritz33 »

I'm not totally sure if I know what I'm talking about, but I'm going to try my best.

I've got Mint installed on a desktop, and when Iwas on windows I had to use a wireless adapter to connect to the internet, and it had a disc that came with it that installed a program that let me connect to the internet.

Now that I've got Mint installed, I've noticed some changes in my wireless. For one it doesn't seem to need the program to connect to the wireless, it just connects automatically (unless I unplug the adapter from the back of my computer). And there have been some problems, like WiFi disconnecting A LOT (requiring me to pull the adapter and plug it back in) and way way slower download speeds. I'm used to having pretty slow speeds because of this adapter, but 20-50 kb/s is pretty ridiculous.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
robw

Re: Desktop WiFi Adapter

Post by robw »

Hi Dritz,

Linux isnt Windows! Most things on Windows need proprietary software to make them work, hence the disc you had to use. Because Linux traditionally hasnt had such support from the hardware industry, loads of folks around the world have had to write their own software to make things work. Over the years, if they were good programmes they got absorbed in the Linux Kernel. That's how so much works with Linux without the drivers Windows needs. Sounds like yours is working but maybe not too well. In order for the folks here to help, theyre gonna need a bit more info.

Please open a terminal (you can find it under Accessories in the menu) and type lspci (where the first letter is a lower case L) if your wireless adapter is built in or lsusb if its a usb device. This should show exactly what adapter you're using; please let us know and I'm sure folks will try to lend a hand to get your wireless sorted. Once you knwo your chipset, you might also find some good help from the 'Howto' section on this site.
dritz33

Post by dritz33 »

robw wrote:Hi Dritz,

Linux isnt Windows! Most things on Windows need proprietary software to make them work, hence the disc you had to use. Because Linux traditionally hasnt had such support from the hardware industry, loads of folks around the world have had to write their own software to make things work. Over the years, if they were good programmes they got absorbed in the Linux Kernel. That's how so much works with Linux without the drivers Windows needs. Sounds like yours is working but maybe not too well. In order for the folks here to help, theyre gonna need a bit more info.

Please open a terminal (you can find it under Accessories in the menu) and type lspci (where the first letter is a lower case L) if your wireless adapter is built in or lsusb if its a usb device. This should show exactly what adapter you're using; please let us know and I'm sure folks will try to lend a hand to get your wireless sorted. Once you knwo your chipset, you might also find some good help from the 'Howto' section on this site.
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0846:9001 NetGear, Inc. WN111(v2) RangeMax Next Wireless [Atheros AR9170+AR9101]
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0bda:0111 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. Card Reader
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 1532:002e Razer USA, Ltd
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

That's what is returned when I type that command :)
robw

Post by robw »

Try installing firmware-linux-free by opening a terminal and typing

sudo apt-get install firmware-linux-free

I've done a quick search of the site and found this as a recommended fix for your chipset. Not got time to help further now but if you cut and paste the 'Atheros AR9170...' bit into the search facility at the top of this page you'll find that others have had probs too. Have a look and see if anything there can help. GL!

Return to “Networking”