new to linux and MINT no wireless connection to airport

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
zen

Post by zen »

thank you - you have been a champ! hanging in there for and with me....

back to square 1! Damn!!!!
hairy_Palms
Level 4
Level 4

Post by hairy_Palms »

out of curiosity if your still looking for a laptop you could always try
http://system76.com/
they come with working ubuntu preinstalled, meaning that you only need to add software to get it to mint.
zen

Post by zen »

I was looking at a Thinkpad T20 Pentium M...any word on that? a refurb unit.....

I was not sure about tweaking a prefab ubuntu into mint I was looking at shoprcubed bit I was not planning on spending that much money! jst don't have it.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

BTW: There's an interview of the founder of system76 on this week's Linux Action Show podcast.

Clem
zen

Post by zen »

when they frist started i bought one with Kubuntu and the guy could not even get me or himself logged in and froze the system and crashed the system and the manual that they sent wasn't relevant in 1 ioda as to what i was seeing on the screem - the guy could not get the wirless going and left me hanging and told me to screw around for a few hours and I kne less than I do know about linux and he dropped the ball 100% so I said forget it and take the laptop back - now I can't get one from them - I do like the new model though but They really were fumbling when I dealt with them.

I was willing to try again and make things right but they are blowing me off. the thing is if I could get this working to my satisfaction then they would have 2 more laptop sale for my office and my homw this year....but they are being jerks sorry to say.

This Carl guy was a know enough to be dangerous dude back then....I was stunned when the guy who was tech help had so much trouble for basic stuff and the documentation they say then send was 100% irelevant.....so unfortunately that is where we stand... too bad I like that basic model....

EDIT!!!! I did not mean this as a bad mouth on them - just my early previous experience that is 100% true. They obviously have worked out the wrinkles.....thanks EDIT!!!!
hairy_Palms
Level 4
Level 4

Post by hairy_Palms »

thinkpad T20 should woork, i had one a good few years back, there really small laptops, dont have built in wireless though afaik

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Installin ... C_Edgy_Eft

and configuring ubuntu into mint is a no risk job, afaik just a matter of instaling codecs and software.
zen

Post by zen »

I have a deal on a refurb T40 or T30 or an r40

the t40 is the best as far as I know I may have to go that route and just do it and live with what I have - I have hread many good reports about the T series and IBM
frank392
Level 4
Level 4

Post by frank392 »

HI Zen,
Instead of waisting your time or spending big $$ in a new machine i would suggest to get a new wireless card:
http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=317
or just check the P/N BWLG630NA.C2
I have this one on my laptop and it works Great! out of the box, :D

Return to “Networking”