Virtualbox shared folder [solved]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
amarumayo

Virtualbox shared folder [solved]

Post by amarumayo »

Hi all,

I hope this is in the right place.
I have a virtualbox running Windows XP in mint 14. I need some way in which there is a folder that I can access via both OSystems. I really can't seem to figure this out. I created a folder using the Virtual Box but I dont really understand what I did and if I put a file in that folder in mint I don't know how to access it in windows.

thanks in advance,
Chris
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Virtualbox shared folder

Post by altair4 »

Assuming you created the shared folder withing the Vbox application for that quest ... something like this:
CreateSharedFolder.png
Then it will automatically show up as a new "Drive letter" in the Windows guest File manager like this:
SharedFolderWinMount.png
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
amarumayo

Post by amarumayo »

Hmmm, I am not getting those results. Did you have to pre-create the COMMON folder in mint? If so where did you place it.
thanks.
Chris
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

The "Folder Path" is an existing Mint folder - in my case it's a mount point to a seperate partition - but it could have been /home/altair/Videos for exmple.

The "Folder Name" is the name that you want the client ( WinXP in your case ) to see in the file manager.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
amarumayo

Post by amarumayo »

Thanks for your help.
I have selected my music folder as seen below, but it still does not show on the XP guest explorer
Screenshot1.png
Screenshot2.png
Any thoughts on what might be going wrong?
Chris
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Are you creating the "Shared Folders" while the WinXP guest is running?

If you are you need to reboot the guest ( WinXP ) - You might be able to just logoff and logon again - but I think it needs a full reboot.
amarumayo

Post by amarumayo »

Great, that did the trick. Thanks for all your help.
cheers
C

Return to “Beginner Questions”