Elyssa and VirtualBox

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Elyssa and VirtualBox

Post by antiquexray »

As I mention in a recent post, I have not been very active in the forums as of late because Mint just runs and runs and runs. However, although I’m looking forward to Elyssa, I am doing so with a little trepidation. I have my computer all tuned up, and with the exception a couple issues with VirtualBox, running as I want.

Now for my question, which incidentally involves VirtualBox. When I do the inevitable install of Elyssa, is there anyway to preserve my virtual machine so I don’t have to do a new install?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Elyssa and VirtualBox

Post by Husse »

I think you have the settings in .Virtualbox in your home folder so it should be preserved
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

Husse wrote:I think you have the settings in .Virtualbox in your home folder so it should be preserved
Hi Husse, nice to hear from you again. I hope all is well with you and yours.

Well, there are no VirtualBox settings in my home folder with the exception of the shortcut on the Desktop. So my next question is, can I copy all the files to a disk and just recopy them to a new install in the appropriate folders so it works?

***EDIT***

HOLD IT! I LIED! I did find it in my home folder. I hope that will work. However, if it doesn't will my disk copy option work as well. Thanks again.
Husse

Post by Husse »

So my next question is, can I copy all the files to a disk and just recopy them to a new install in the appropriate folders so it works?
Perhaps - it depends a bit on what you mean
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

Husse wrote:
So my next question is, can I copy all the files to a disk and just recopy them to a new install in the appropriate folders so it works?
Perhaps - it depends a bit on what you mean
What I mean is if I take particular attention to detail from where I got the files, can I copy them back to those same places...files/folders/places/...whatever :D
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

ed@Mint wrote:Of course you can make a backup of your .Virtualbox folder.
In an easier way, if you have a separate /home partition on your hard drive, then keep it so that you recover all your program settings after installing Elyssa.
I do indeed have a separate home folder. I just didn't know if that would be enough to preserve my VirtualBox during an upgrade to the next version of Mint.
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

ed@Mint wrote:What do you mean exactly by "my virtual box" ?
your .virtualbox folder in /home or a virtual box you created for another OS ?
In the first case, it is safe since it is in /home
In the second case it depends on the location you set your virtual box. I think the default option is to put it in /home either so there are chances it is also safe.
First of all, thanks for your reply. Next, it is indeed in my /home folder, that is .virtualbox. However, another time and in this place (LinuxMint Forum), I thought I'd discovered a "bug" when restoring a /home folder. Husse thought so as well until Clem set us straight. I don't know the Mint "link" at this time, and don't have the time to research it now (I have to run the taxi service for 2 boys,,,NOW), but if you search bug, antiqueray, husse, and clem, you'll probably find it. So you may understand why I'm a little apprehensive.

Return to “Beginner Questions”