install mint to usb hdd

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
calymea
Level 3
Level 3

install mint to usb hdd

Post by calymea »

Hi, I want to install linux mint 14 to a usb hard disc drive and make it bootable. I have done this before, but can't seem to get it right now. I have Window$ 7 on my laptop HDD, but want to install Mint to the USB HDD When I try to do this it stuffs the Window$ MBR and I have to repair it using a recovery disc. Anyone know what's going wrong?
Thanks.
P.S I am installing from a live dvd.
P.P.S the new install won't boot either
Thanks to all.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cwsnyder

Re: install mint to usb hdd

Post by cwsnyder »

Your problem may be where you are telling Mint to install GRUB. If your USB hard drive is /dev/sdb, then you should be telling the installer to install GRUB to /dev/sdb, not to /dev/sda, which is your Windows drive. This is why your Windows boot went bad, and why your new install will not work.

One way to force things to work would be to temporarily disconnect your (working) windows drive while you simply boot from the DVD and install to the USB hard drive.
calymea
Level 3
Level 3

Post by calymea »

Thanks for the reply. How do I tell Mint where to install GRUB? By working Window$ drive I assume you mean the laptop's internal HDD?
cwsnyder

Post by cwsnyder »

In the Mint installer, you will have to use the expert, custom install option, know what you are doing, and know which disk is which, or forget about your attempt, NOW. In the custom install option, there is the option to tell where you want GRUB installed. In this case, you must know what device name and/or partition. If you are not familiar with Linux device names, study up on this first, and on dual-boot with Windows before making the attempt, or else be ready to spend several days (yes I mean days, not just hours) in trouble-shooting where you went wrong.

Again, for emphasis, disconnect your Windows working drive when making this attempt and leave only the optical drive and the external USB drive connected if you don't know what to do in setting up drive partitions, GRUB, MBR and dual-boot. Mint can cope automatically with installing in this configuration, or with a dual-boot with Windows on one drive. Mint can't be expected to cope with a <removable> USB drive as your sometimes Linux boot drive installation. This is a custom installation, there is not going to be nice, neat, fully documented solutions posted on YouTube.

Return to “Beginner Questions”