Windows Networking Problem [SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
evereti

Windows Networking Problem [SOLVED]

Post by evereti »

Hi
New to Mint and trying to get it all working with my existing windows home network.

Installed Mint 14 Cinnamon on a laptop, very nice. It instals fine and connects to the Internet, either via wireless or ethernet.

When I try to look at the Windows Network clicking Network shows Windows Network and clicking that shows Workgroup which is correct. Clicking that and Mint thinks for some time and then says "Unable to mount location Failed to retrieve share list from server". It does not display any connected PCs.

From Windows I can see the Mint Laptop and click on it. Windows won't display laptop contents, suspect this is because of file system.

My distro was the latest from Mint and I did a complete instal over the old op sys. As far as I can see all the Samba bits came with the distro.

I am sure I am missing something simple. :oops: :oops: :D

All help would be appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
anandrkris

Re: Windows Networking Problem

Post by anandrkris »

Hi. You need to share the required folders in Mint machine for it to be visible in Windows. I dont think file system of directory matters when it is shared over samba, should be taken care of. http://community.linuxmint.com/software ... nfig-samba - UI utility for creating samba share.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Unable to mount location Failed to retrieve share list from server
None of your samba / smb clients can convert the netbios names of each host to an ip address. Please go through the checklist for possible causes and their remedy. It may be something simple like the length of your host name:

Samba Browsing Problems Checklist
: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 46&start=0

Note: If you also used system-config-samba in addition to creating the share in your file manager ( Nemo ) you may have complicated matters since you may have shared the same folder twice using two different methods. Please post the output of the following commands if you have further difficulties:

Code: Select all

testparm -s

net usershare info --long

smbtree
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
evereti

Post by evereti »

Hi Guys

This is all a bit hard.

Followed the checklist as best I could.

Samba is running, firewalls are off, shared "Home" via Samba, Hostname was huge so fixed that, got very confused with the "name" v IP address bit.

Anyway, I can now see Home on the mintlaptop from my windows 7 machine excellent works well.

However, absolutely no success in viewing Windows Workgroup from Mintlaptop.

If I try from Home panel, click network, windows network, workgroup it tries to open workgroup but says "Unable to mount location Failed to retrieve share list from server"

Running out of what little hair I have.
Cheers
evereti

Post by evereti »

Me again

Did the bit in the checklist about Name resolution no change

Sorry :(
evereti

Re: Windows Networking Problem Solved

Post by evereti »

Me Again SOLVED

Turns out that the name resolution statement has be right under the workgroup statement like this

# Change this to the workgroup/NT-domain name your Samba server will part of
workgroup = WORKGROUP
name resolve order = bcast host lmhosts wins

It appeared further down in my smb.conf and I changed it there and it made no difference, put it right under workgroup and its problem solved.

Thanks Forum
TuftyDave
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Windows Networking Problem [SOLVED]

Post by TuftyDave »

I wish someone could solve this one for me....
I have 3 computers on my LAN
2 windows and 1 Linux Mint 14
The two Windows machines see the Linux machine on the network with them (Haven't got into access yet, but at least they SEE the Linux)

On my Linux machine (in Nemo 1.1.2) I click 'Network'
I see 'Windows Network' icon
I click it and I get "Unable to mount location Failed to retrieve share list from server"
I've now spent hours following various 'solutions' to this problem yet none of them work for me!

I've added the fixed ip addresses and names of the two windows machines in /etc/hosts
I've done various edits on "/etc/samba/smb.conf" all of which told me they would solve this problem, none of them did.

I can use Linux commands to check the existence of the other two machines...
dave@dave-P5Q ~ $ nmblookup -A 192.168.0.100
Looking up status of 192.168.0.100
TOSH <00> - B <ACTIVE>
MSHOME <00> - <GROUP> B <ACTIVE>
TOSH <20> - B <ACTIVE>
MSHOME <1e> - <GROUP> B <ACTIVE>

There it is sitting there waiting! But NOTHING I do will show anything other than "Unable to mount location Failed to retrieve share list from server" when I try to get at the machines from Nemo.

Can anyone help more. Might I have done other damage by trying all the things I've tried that haven't worked?

Return to “Beginner Questions”