Anyone else having strange DNS issues on Boot?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ikunat33
Level 2
Level 2

Anyone else having strange DNS issues on Boot?

Post by ikunat33 »

Once I have booted into the Live CD and connected to the wireless access point I can not browse the web.

If right click on the network manager it shows all the proper connection information including the DNS addresses for my ISP.
Now when I finally got pissed off enough that my brain kicked I opened up a command prompt and looked at /etc/resolv.conf it turned out to be empty. I then opened up Menu->Administration->Network and found that it reflected this absence of DNS server information...

Anyone else have this problem??
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wavespot
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Anyone else having strange DNS issues on Boot?

Post by wavespot »

yes it happened. resolvconf package now maintains a dynamic resolv.conf file. Before, resolv.conf used to be a real file, this change explains your situation.

/etc/resolv.conf is now a symlink, pointing either to /run/resolvconf/resolv.conf (main LM edition), or /etc/resolvconf/run/resolv.conf (LMDE edition).
ikunat33
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Anyone else having strange DNS issues on Boot?

Post by ikunat33 »

Hmmm... I think it is still a problem in the Mint 14 MATE eddition. Even after running all the updates I was having to manually change my DNS info every time I switched networks.

On the up side i have moved back to Mint 13 and decided to try the KDE eddition. This is the first time I have tried the KDE desktop and it is so clean and everything works so nicely I can not see myself going back at the moment.

I used to be so hard core Gnome but with all the BS that has happened with Gnome, Ubuntu, etc... It is dead to me... and my brother.. and my GF... pretty much everyone in my family is dooing the oooh ahhhh thing over the KDE desktop environment; Even the ones used to the apple systems.

I just want things to work.

Thanks for your response.

Return to “Installation & Boot”