strange behavior on display of IRS pdf file

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

strange behavior on display of IRS pdf file

Post by wpshooter »

Can someone tell me why it is that page number 79 of the IRS 1040 form general instructions (for current tax year 2012) shown at the following link of the IRS website

http://apps.irs.gov/app/picklist/list/f ... earch=Find

will not properly display under either a Linux Mint version 13 or version 14 installation ?

Every other page on this PDF will display correctly and even page 79 will display correctly if you page down to it one page at a time, however if you try go directly to page 79 by putting in page 79 of 108, it will not complete the display of the info for this page. I have also tried this with other PDF / tax forms on the IRS 1040 current year page and every other tax form, etc. that I opened displayed perfectly.

I have tried this very same thing (trying to get page 79 to display) on a CentOS 6.3 Linux installation and it displays perfectly every time.

Thanks.

P.S. - Please don't suggest that I call the IRS.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
bigj231

Re: strange behavior on display of IRS pdf file

Post by bigj231 »

Page 79 of which form? The instructions? I have had this happen beofre though. It is usually only on long documents. It's kind of a pain, but I don't know of any solution other than using a different PDF reader.
Also, somewhat relevant: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 1PU#t=224s
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

bigj231 wrote:Page 79 of which form? The instructions? I have had this happen beofre though. It is usually only on long documents. It's kind of a pain, but I don't know of any solution other than using a different PDF reader.
Also, somewhat relevant: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 1PU#t=224s
Yes, I said "general instructions".

If this is something to do with length of document, how come this does NOT happen on the document just ajacent/above the "general instructions", which includes all of the 1040 general instruction, PLUS all of the detailed instructions for the 1040 schedule forms, i.e. it is an even longer document than the "general instructions" and it does not happen on that document, i.e. I don't think this problem has anything to do with length/size of document.

Why does this not happen when using CentOS Linux ?

Thanks.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

RodMyers wrote:I just grabbed the file in question.

For me, using Mint 14, and Document Viewer 3.6.0.

Page 79 shows correctly for me.
What is and where does "document viewer 3.6.0 come from ?

I am now on Mint 13 and I don't see any document viewer in package manger.

I do see that Evince - common was installed by default BUT the actual EVINCE application itself is NOT installed - available but not showing as being installed.

Also, I notice that Acroread and other acroread components are available in package manager but are NOT installed.

Does the Evince application need to be installed or should all Evince & related applications be uninstalled and some other document viewer be installed instead ?

Thanks.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

I sort of found the resolution for this problem but I really don't understand why this is.

I went to the preferences in Firefox and then to applications and I noticed that the drop down setting for PDF file viewing was set by default to "PREVIEW IN FIREFOX".

I changed that setting to "USE DOCUMENT VIEWER DEFAULT" and re-tried the IRS instructions and that apparently fixed the problem because page 79 displayed correctly.

But what I don't understand is that the default viewer according to Firefox is ADOBE ACROBAT because the Adobe logo is shown beside the "USE DOCUMENT VIEWER DEFAULT" setting, HOWEVER when I go into Synaptic and search for Acroread, it shows that Acroread and related appllications are NOT installed.

Also, when I right hand click on a PDF file that I have in my home directory the default that is set for opening that PDF file is EVINCE not Adobe Acroread.

Can anyone tell me why that apparently Adobe Reader has been installed as the default document viewer by the OS installation and yet Evince is shown as the default viewer when doing a right click on an individual PDF file on the hard drive ?

Thanks.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
bigj231

Post by bigj231 »

I think evince might spoof itself as adobe acrobat in firefox. Also, evince 3.6 is in LM14 I believe. LM13 has 3.4.

Return to “Software & Applications”