Where to find an idiot's guide to networking

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
charlielamus

Where to find an idiot's guide to networking

Post by charlielamus »

Hello,

This is more a "what do I need to know" email!

I want to experiment with setting up a network using wired ethernet and linux only machines. In terms of hardware I have several old PCs to play with which have ethernet cards, twisted pair wires, network switches and the odd router.

What I would like to end up with is a collection of computers running linux (presumably mint flavoured), where you can "log in" to your account on any of the computers, access your files (and only your files), and where I as network controller can control what users can and cannot do.

It would also be helpful if the computers could access the interwebs. There is a (school wide) network which already has an effective firewall and internet filtering capability, accessed via a login in the browser.

The thing is, i am such a noooob that I have no idea even where to start looking. Every time I try I get overwhelmed with SSH this and bash that and I simply have no idea what I should and shouldn't be reading.

What should i google? Where should I look? And can anybody give me a basic overview of what I will need to know, and what jargon I might meet?

Thank you very much!

Charlielamus
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Where to find an idiot's guide to networking

Post by karlchen »

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Networking (3rd Edition) [Paperback]???

Hm, having gone through a few of the reviews, I guess a better choice might be this one:

Networking For Dummies [Paperback]
(As a matter of fact, the "... for dummies" are not for dummies, but for beginners.)

Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline

Return to “Beginner Questions”