How to install Nvidia GeForce 210M driver on Mint 14 Nadia

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
thebluesky

How to install Nvidia GeForce 210M driver on Mint 14 Nadia

Post by thebluesky »

I am quite new to linux but I managed to install Mint 14 onto my external driver and I am very happy to be on this forum. :D

My question is I would like to install my graphic card's driver on mint.So I downloaded the driver from Nvidia's official page.But I couldnt install it.
When I tried to run the driver mint says
" could not open the file ....." and in small letters " gedit has not been able to detect the character encoding.Please check that you are not trying to open a binary file.Select a character encoding from the menu and try again."

the driver's name ends ".run" is it normal?should I do sth

when I ran " Software Source" on mint, it says " Nvidia GT 218 (GEFORCE G210M) This device is using an alternative driver " and there are five options listed under this sentece and " using x.org x server ............" was thicked..should I change it

when I look at "details " on mint it says " Gallium 0.4 on NVA8 " on "graphic" section.

what should I do..? My graphic card is Nvidia GeForce 210M 512 MB..and I run Mint 14 Nadia 64 bit Cinnamon .the driver I downloaded is 310.32.run

thanks a lot :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Re: How to install Nvidia GeForce 210M driver on Mint 14 Nad

Post by roblm »

I updated this information on 3-23-13. I have the GeForce 210 video card installed on my computer and am using the proprietary Nvidia driver and it has worked fine so far. It should be the first one listed under System Settings > Software Sources > Additional Drivers, the "Nvidia binary Xorg driver_from nvidia-current". I would not recommend trying to manually install drivers unless necessary because it can be a little tricky sometimes.
To install this driver you can check the circle next to it in the "Additional Drivers" window. Or you can open the Synaptic Package Manager and type "Nvidia" in the search window. Check the box next to "nvidia-current" and select "Mark for Installation" and click apply in the menu and the installation will be handled automatically.
If you have an AMD processor like I do, then you may see one or more new messages during startup. One is "microcode: failed to load file amd-ucode/microcode_amd.bin". To remove this open the Synaptic Package Manager and in the search window type "amd". Check the box next to "amd64-microcode" and select "Mark for Installation".
Another message that I saw was "kvm disabled by bios". To remove this I went into the BIOS and under Advanced > CPU Configuration there was an option for "Secure Virtual Machine Mode". After setting this to "enabled", the message was removed.
If you have problems reading the messages at startup, then use the "dmesg" command in Terminal. You will see the log produced as the Linux kernel gets loaded. Look near the lower section of the log for the new messages.
Smaggy

Re: How to install Nvidia GeForce 210M driver on Mint 14 Nad

Post by Smaggy »

I'm glad I found your post. I was having trouble with XBMC locking up the PC whenever I paused a movie for more than a couple of minutes and I think your post will help. Thanks!

Return to “Hardware Support”