New Kernel for security reasaons ? [SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JoeHurke

New Kernel for security reasaons ? [SOLVED]

Post by JoeHurke »

I'm using LinuxMint 13 (KDE) still with Kernel 3.2.0-23.
For Ubuntu 12.4 LTS as base of LinuxMint 13 there have been some Kernel updates for security reasons. Currently they are using Kernel 3.2.0-38 http://www.ubuntu.com/usn/usn-1741-1/ .
Why don't I get a "more secure" Kernel for LinuxMint 13 ?

I've activated "main, upstream and import" packages, NOT: backport, romeo and sources.
UpdateManager shows me packages of the levels 1,2,3, no unsecure or dangerous/unstable packages.
In my opinion these settings are defaults.
Kernel updates havn't been shown to me yet.
I've got no problem with the current kernel, except that it might be unsecure.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
eanfrid

Re: New Kernel for security reasaons ?

Post by eanfrid »

A kernel update may break (edit: I.e. may be incompatible with) your current system and you also may have to recompile some out-of-tree drivers (especially network or video) afterwards. So these updates are level 5. Kernel updates are necessary security-wise, but have to be handled cautiously.

Edit: for example, coming from 3.2, I skipped 3.3 and 3.4 because my Debian machine could not complete the boot process. 3.5 was an excellent one and worked fine, as does 3.7 and 3.8 but 3.6 was also a no-go. For theses reasons I compile myself my own custom kernels.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

You can get kernel updates by using Synaptic.
JoeHurke

Post by JoeHurke »

Many thanks for that hints!

I don't use proprietary Graphic- or WLAN-Drivers. (Instead I use Intel-Chipset-Graphic and Cable-LAN.)
I've got no self-compiled modules.
So I would probably enable level 5 (dangerous) packages in the UpdateManager and accept next kernel for LinuxMint 13 or Ubuntu 12.4.

Will this new kernel replace the current one?
Or will this new kernel be installed as additional option in the boot manager menu, so that I can easily switch back to the old kernel, in case of compatibility problems?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

the kernel doesn't replace the old one, you'll have an extra option at boot (default will be the newer unless you tweaked grub but you can chose any of the older ones)
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

You will still have the old kernel. If there should happen to be a problem with the new kernel you can still boot from the old kernel. You should be fine with the kernel update though.
JoeHurke

Post by JoeHurke »

Many thanks for the answers! It has worked! :D
I've enabled level 5 packages. After refreshing availability kernel 3.2.0-38 was suggested. After reboot the new kernel and the previous one were listed by the boot manager. Now I am using the new kernel.
Many thanks for your quick help!

Return to “Beginner Questions”